Kilwinning Rangers 1-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 1st April

at Abbey Park



Cambuslang Rangers moved off the bottom of the league for the first time this season after Saturday's fine 2-1 win away at Kilwinning Rangers. It was the visitors who came out top in the battle of the Rangers as they bounced back from the poor showing against Maybole in their previous match.


Manager Scott Archer was unavailable to take the side due to work commitments so day's tactics were left to his assistant Archie Malley.


Cambuslang made a couple of changes for the game when O'Neil, Anderson and Gemmell were all missing for various reasons. This meant starts for McKinnon, Trialist and Gilroy continued up front in place of the injured Anderson.



Faulds and Gilroy On The Attack

Faulds and Gilroy combine


Both teams started the match very cautiously and very little happening in front of either sides goal. It was Cambuslang's first attack of the game and they opened the scoring, very much against the run of play. McCracken picked up the ball in the middle of the park and he sent McKinnon away down the right hand side. The Lang winger sent over a perfect cross that Irons got on the end of and nodded past the Kilwinning keeper and put the Lang 1 up. 5 minutes later if should have been 2 but Gilroy fired over from the edge of the box.


On 35 minutes the home side were level. A speculative effort that looked more like a cross was sent over by Mullen out on the left. Lang goalie Calder was caught out as the ball went over his head into the net for a fortuitous equaliser.


Just before the break and the home side should have went in front, but they missed a great chance firing inches over the bar. Both sides picked up a booking in first half injury time. Faulds for Cambuslang and Newal for the home side.

H-T 1-1


Irons Nods Lang In Front

Flying Save By Keeper Stops Gray From Scoring


Kilwinning started the second half like a side hurting. They should have took the lead only 1 minute into the half but the strikers free header from 8 yards out went wide much to the Lang defence relief.


Cambuslang then picked up 3 bookings in the 4 minute spell. The first was Irons who appeared to be pushed off the ball in the Kilwinning penalty area, but the promptly booked the Lang man for diving. He was followed into the ref's notebook by Taylor and McKinnon in quick succession. Cambuslang remained level thanks to the goal line clearance of Brian Martin on 50 minutes.


Cambuslang brought on Gallagher to replace the trialist who was struggling to get into the game.


The visitors regained the lead with the move of the match. Taylor and McKinnon combined well before McKinnon played the ball to Irons who in turn rolled the ball to the advancing sub, Gallagher. He duly despatched his shot past the despairing dive of the Kilwinning keeper into the back of the net.


Cambuslang celebrations were short lived as the home side were awarded a penalty on 65 minutes. McKinnon was adjudged to have fouled the Buffs man and the ref pointed to the spot. McKinnon received his second booking and then saw red for the challenge. Lang keeper Calder saved his side when he produced a fine save from the spot kick and kept Lang's noses in front.


Gray Clears At The Other End



Calder Saves Kilwinning Spot Kick


Cambuslang were then given another chance to kill off the home side and it was Gilroy again with the opportunity. He was played in on goal by Faulds but the Lang striker pulled his shot inches wide of the goal.


Lang sub Gallagher was booked for what looked a fair challenge and seemed to win the ball cleanly. But the ref thought otherwise and showed him a yellow card. Mullen, on the end of the challenge, was booked for squaring up to Gallagher right in front of the ref.


Cambuslang brought on McAdam for Irons on 84 minutes. Cambuslang had Brian Martin to thank for keeping them in front. The experienced defender threw himself in front of The Buffs striker shot and prevented a certain equaliser. Cambuslang had another great chance of their own to seal the victory but Gallagher's shot found the side net. There was a nervous end to the game as the Buffs were awarded a free kick 20 yards out after Mullen fell over Martins leg but the free kick was awarded. The Lang defence stood solid and cleared the ball up the other end.


With time running out Cambuslang threw on McElhone in an attempt to eat up the stoppage time of which 5 minutes were played. Cambuslang played out the final minutes and held on the a thoroughly deserved 3 points.



 Cambuslang Line Up


 1.    Calder

 2.    Noble

 3.    Taylor

 4.    Martin

 5.    Gray

 6.    Irons (McAdam 84)

 7.    McKinnon

 8.    McCracken

 9.    Gilroy (McElhone 90)

10    Faulds

11    Trialist ( Gallagher 47)


More Action Shots Are Available Here