Vale of Clyde 1-1 Cambuslang Rangers

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 1st October 2005

at Fullarton Park



Cambuslang Rangers grabbed only their second point of the season but it could have been so much better had they held their nerve for one more minute...Leading through a Craig Porter strike, his first since signing, but Cambuslang were unable to see out the match and an injury time strike by Vale saw them grab a share of the points..


This could have been the springboard that Cambuslang need to kick start the season but instead the confidence took another dent as they struggle at the wrong end of the table on 2 points from 5 games..


Manager Scott Archer made no fewer than 4 changes to the side that was k.o'd in the first round of the West. Out went Gallagher, Love, Timmons and Gilroy. Their starting slots were taken up by Noble, McAdam, Stoddart and Porter.


As is usually the case when these two sides meet, very little football on offer and a lot of meaty challenges.


Vale have started the season well and are flying near the top of the table and Cambuslang were under no illusions as to how difficult a game this was going to be. Indeed the Vale let their intentions be known early on and forced Lang keeper McGovern into a fine stop after only 6 minutes. A run to the edge of the box and then a shot had McGovern scrambling across his line before throwing himself and touching the goal bound effort round the post. Vale were presented with another chance 5 minutes later, this time a needless free kick was given away by Noble but Vale failed to trouble the keeper this time.


Cambuslang have struggled with dead ball situations all season and Saturday was no different. Every free kick and corner into the box seemed to cause havoc among the Lang back line, thankfully some poor heading from Vale kept the Lang goal intact.


On 34 minutes Vale should have been red carded after an off the ball kick at Burns, the incident was witnessed by the near side linesman and he flagged the referee and explained the situation. Much to the amazement of everyone in the ground the referee then proceeded to yellow card the Vale culprit who clearly should have walked.


Vale were having the better of the chances as Cambuslang yet again struggled to make any real chances for themselves, another frustrating afternoon for the strikers. Just before the break and Cambuslang had an effort at goal but McAdam pulled his effort wide of the target. A minute later and Coulter forced the Vale keeper into a fine stop with his 25 yard drive that looked goal bound all the way until the timely intervention..


H-T 0-0



Goal Scorer Craig Porter On The Attack

v Vale of Clyde


Lang Striker Davie Menelaws Clears The Danger v Vale of Clyde


 At the start of the half, Langs O'Neil picked up a booking for a late challenge on a Vale player who didn't take too kindly to the challenge. A minute later and a fine effort from Vale's attacker saw a 20 yard effort go narrowly over the bar. On 54 minutes the Vale were reduced to 10 men after the player O'Neil had caught minutes later took revenge on the Lang defender with a terrible challenge and the Ref had no option but to straight red card the reckless player.


Cambuslang replaced McAdam with Timmons on 57 minutes. Still Vale were peppering the Lang goal but unable to test McGovern. A couple of Lang players were booked for fouls, firstly Gary for a late challenge and then Menelaws talked himself into the ref's notebook.

Vale were unlucky not to open the scoring on 65 minutes, A good run and shot saw the goal ward effort rattle his own player before Cambuslang cleared the danger. On 68 minutes something Cambuslang fans have not seen much of this season, a goal. It was a well worked and well taken effort and all down to Craig Porters strength and persistence, he robbed the Vale defender on the touchline and also the advancing keeper, getting their before both of them, he then lifted his effort into the empty net from the edge of the box to net only Cambuslang's 2nd league goal of the season. This sparked mass celebration between both fans and also the Lang dug out.


Despite taking the lead Cambuslang then found themselves being pushed back and were camped in their own half for the remainder of the match. Vale missed a number of good chances but found a keeper in form. McGovern having one of his better games for Lang. Vale were lucky to keep 10 men on the park when Timmons was on the end of a two-footed tackle but the ref allowed this one to go. Lang brought on Gilroy for the hard working Wade on 81 minutes. As the clock was ticking down Vale were throwing everything at Cambuslang and should have scored on a couple of occasions, free headers from 5 yards out were flying over the bar, much to the relief of the Lang following. With only stoppage time remaining, Cambuslang's defences were eventually breached. A drive from the edge of the box found itself through the crowded penalty area and into the back of the net for the equaliser. Cambuslang could have snatched the win but for a super save from a Burns 20 yard drive. The keeper turning the ball round the post with a fine finger tip save.


 A disappointing end to the match and one that Cambuslang didn't really deserve after the 2nd half effort they put in.


Line up

McGovern, O'Neil, Burns, Noble, Gray, Coulter, McAdam (Timmons 57), Stoddart, Wade (Gilroy 81), Porter, Menelaws (McGowan 90)

Subs Not Used

Trialist, Faulds.