Shotts B.A. 5-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Rockware Glass Super First division

Saturday 2nd November

at Hannah Park


Cambuslang suffered one of their worst defeats in recent season when they went down by 5 goals to two against bottom side Shotts at the weekend. Cambuslang, who were sitting proudly joint top of the league were sent crashing after a remarkable collapse despite opening the scoring after only two minutes form then on it was all downhill.


Cambuslang were forced into a couple of changes when Defender Kavanagh was out through injury as was McFarlane. The loss of Kavanagh was obvious in the score line. Billy Holmes, in his centenary season was given a starting spot and Foster took over in defence for Jim Kavanagh. James Fay dropped to the bench; Stewart Taylor took his spot.


The visitors made the perfect start to the game when they opened the scoring after only two minutes. He chested down a pass and then unleashed his shot past the Shotts keeper. Cambuslang despite taking the early lead and going on to dominate most of the first half Cambuslang were unable to add to the early goal. Daisley was the first booking after two fouls in quick succession. He was quickly followed by Shotts Church. The home side grabbed the equaliser on the 35 minute mark and some poor defending saw Sinclair flick the ball home from close range. This was to be the beginning of the Shotts revival. Cambuslang had a chance to retake the lead but Daisley saw his effort well saved by the Shotts keeper.

H-T 1-1


Cambuslang made a change at the break, bringing on James Fay for Stewart Taylor. Cambuslang found themselves behind early in the second half and again it was poor marking that cost the visitors dearly. The Lang defence seemed to back off allowing the Shotts players to come at them. In the 54th minute Steve Rixon latched onto a John Boyack pass and drove the ball past McGovern for the Bon Accord's second. In the 67th minute Rixon did it all himself, taking a long ball from defence way out on the left, bearing down on the keeper and slipping it under his body for the third. In the 82nd minute sub John Brown gave away his third penalty in as many games and Carmichael slotted home to set up what should have been a grandstand finish but the stuffing was finally knocked out of Cambuslang when Shotts scored only minutes later. Fraser Church stabbed the ball high into the net after McGovern had dropped a corner at his feet. Although to be fair to the Lang keeper it did look as if he was impeded going for the ball, but the referee allowed the goal to stand much to the annoyance of the Lang players.  Doak complained long and hard about this goal and was given a yellow for his trouble. Continuing with the dissent  and he promptly got another and was sent off to round off a miserable afternoon for the Lang .In the last minute of normal time Shotts went down the left, the ball was passed to  Wilson who laid it off to Boyack who teed it up for sub Dave Jackson and he drove home the fifth from about 15 yards. Shotts deserved this very welcome win but Lang were perhaps unlucky in conceding five after they had dominated the first half hour.

Line up

McGovern, Doak, McGregor, Foster (McCrae 70), Webster, Ferguson, Paterson, Holmes, Taylor (Fay 45), Daisley,(Dignam 60) Carmichael

Subs not used Stoddart and Galloway