Cambuslang Rangers 4-1 Lanark United

Holmes 17

Brown 9

Gauley 18,25, 81



Abercorn Builders 1st Division

Saturday 3rd February

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers bounced back from last weeks disappointing home defeat v Cumbernauld with a well deserved and comfortable 4-1 win over second placed Lanark at Somervell last weekend. Both teams have aspirations of Premier football next season and new a win was vital too the 2 teams. Cambuslang recovered from an early scare when they fell behind after only 9 minutes but goals from Holmes and a hat-trick from midfielder Stuart Gauley ensured the 3 points went to the home side.

Cambuslang were still without the injured Ryan Lever and the suspended Stewart Maxwell. Manager Andy Cunningham made 2 other changes to the starting line-up, bringing in Andy Noble and Billy Holmes for John Richardson and Damian Devanney.

It was an nervy start from the homeside and almost gifted the visitors the lead, a header from Bulloch wasn't held by the keeper but he gathered at the second attempt. A few minutes later and Lanark were in front from a corner, the keeper came but got nothing on it allowing Brown the easy task of heading the visitors in front. Cambuslang went on the attack immediately, an excellent cross into the box by Noble was headed by Daisley but he failed to hit the target from a promising position. Stewart Gauley then drove narrowly wide when a cross into the box might have been the better option as Cambuslang had men over. Stewart Gauley then found himself in the referee's book for disputing an offside decision. Cambuslang then took control of the game and in an eight minute spell all but sealed the game scoring 3 goals. The first came from Billy Holmes, he was onto Balmains through ball and made no mistake with only the keeper to beat which he calmly done. They then got their noses in front a minute later courtesy of Stewart Gauley's first, straight from the restart, some nice passes in the box before the ball came to Gauley who fired home. Lanark then had their fist player of the afternoon booked, Bell for a foul on Kavanagh, he seemed to be getting away with the challenge but said something to upset the man in the middle and earned a yellow card. On 25 minutes Gauley grabbed his second and Cambuslang's third. Daisley forced the keeper into a fine stop after his turn in the box gave him time to fire in a shot, from the resulting corner Gauley's half hit shot found it's way into the back of the net through a ruck of players to give Cambuslang some breathing space. Cambuslang keeper Wardlaw then produced a fine stop, which he saw late, to turn the ball round the post at full stretch. Cambuslang then had Robertson booked after he was adjudged to have fouled a Lanark player when he clearly won the ball.



H-T 3-1

In a mad opening spell to the second half Lanark were down to ten men, Firstly Leonard was booked for a late challenge then Leonard was Red carded for a foul on Robertson, he then threw the ball and the Lang defender on the ground so the ref sent him packing. Cambuslang then threw on Damian Devanney for Andy Noble. With more and more nigly fouls creeping into the game it was no surprise when ex-lang player Stevie Bulloch was yellow carded. Lanark then threw on McBratney for McTavish in a vain effort to get back into the game. There was then a mad scramble on the touchline after Devenney had fouled Leonard, the Lanark bench leaped from their seats looking to get some revenge for the earlier sending off, but Devanney was booked which infuriated the visitors who then had their Manager and Linesmen sent off. On 7o minutes they were dealt another blow when Bulloch received his second booking reducing the visitors to 9 men. Cambuslanng then replaced Holmes with Earlie. Cambuslang were well on top by this stage and could have ran up a few more goals, Robertson went close with a fine shot from the outside of his right foot which went narrowly wide. Cambuslang then grabbed their forth, a fine run and shot by Mark Dunn forced the keeper to turn his effort round the post and from the resulting corner Gauley clinched his hat-trick. Dunn was then replaced by Mulligan. Cambuslang could have put the icing on the cake when Daisley was through for a fifth but he blazed his shot well over. Stuart Gauley earned himself a bottle of Vodka from the Somervell Supporters Club for his hat-trick.


F-T 4-1


line up's

Cambuslang Wardlaw, Robertson, McCabe, Doak, Kavanagh, Noble, Balmain, Gauley, Daisley, Dunn & Holmes

Subs from : Earlie, McDougall, Devanney, Mulligan & Richardson

Lanark Brunton, Leonard, Miller, Stark, Martin, Brown, McTavish, Irvine, Bulloch, Struthers & Bell

Subs from : McBratney, Steele, Shannon, Donogue & Knight