Cambuslang Rangers 1-2 Rutherglen Glencairn

Sectional League Cup

Saturday 5th August 2006

at Somervell Park


Rutherglen Glencairn came out on top in the first Derby game of the season with local rivals Cambuslang Rangers after Saturday's 2-1 win at Somervell Park. Celebrations were not as they might have been as the result came at a cost to the Southcroft outfit. Player, Manager Scott Smith was carried off near the end of the match with what has now been confirmed as a double leg fracture after a challenge from a Lang Sub Trialist. Smith and Trialist both 100% committed going for a 50-50 ball resulting in the horrendous, possible, career ending, injury.


Lang’s McGuigan Clears

Martin and Smith Challenge


Glens have managed to keep most of last season’s squad together while Cambuslang have a new look young side and this was their first taste of a Lang v Glens encounter.


Apart from to costly goalkeeping errors Cambuslang matched Glencairn on most areas of the pitch and that was the only difference between the two sides.


Cambuslang had the first real chance of the half and that didn't arrive until the 17th minute. Patrick knocked the ball down to Faulds but the Lang striker could only find the side net with his powerful drive. 10 minutes later and it was Glencairn who missed a great chance to open the scoring. M Quinn ghosted into the back post area but he fired wide with the goal at his mercy. A couple of minutes later and Patrick and Faulds combined resulting in Patrick forcing the keeper into a fine stop. On the half hour mark Glens captain Scott Smith received the first booking of the afternoon. Lang’s Carson followed him minutes later after 2 silly fouls in quick succession. Glens then had M Quinn yellow carded for dissent. The half time interval looming Cambuslang committed football suicide. Lang keeper, Trialist, grabbed the ball and with his quick throw out rolled the ball straight to Glens Boyle who had all the time in the world to coolly lob the ball over everyone into the back of the net for an unlikely 1-0 interval lead.


H-T 0-1

Another Lang Attack

Defence Clear The Danger


Cambuslang came out at the start of the second half and Faulds earned his side a free kick right on the edge of the box after Smith hauled him down. Cambuslang were unable to make any use of the free kick and the chance was lost. The home side fell further behind after yet another costly mistake from the Trialist Goalie. This time a McGladighan cross seemed to go straight through the big keepers hands and found the back of the net on 51 minutes. Not the start to the half the Lang needed or indeed wanted. Cambuslang, under the watchful eye of assistants Archie Malley and Gary Shillady due to Scott Archers holiday, then made a couple of changes. Robertson and Doyle were both replaced and Trialist 1 and Reid entered the frae.


The home side pulled a goal back  on the hour mark, the goal with a bit of fortune attached to it. Patrick found himself in the box under pressure but he managed to get the shot away that just beat the keeper despairing dive but agonisingly it came back off the post but Reid came storming in to knock the ball home and drag Cambuslang back into this game. Cambuslang made their final change when O'Neil replaced Patrick on 68 minutes. The visitors made 2 changes of their own M Quinn  and scorer McGladighan were replaced with Gallagher and Finnigan.


Smith Receives Treatment

Smith Carried Off With Double Fracture


With 15 minutes remaining Glens missed a glorious chance when Smiths header back across goal came to Quinn 2 yards out but the Glens man could only direct his header onto the post much to the relief of the Lang defence. Cambuslang went close at the other end when Faulds teed up Donnelly but the Lang mans effort was deflected wide.


The big talking point of the game came on 83 minutes when Glens player/manager Scott Smith and Lang's Trialist went full throttle into a tackle which resulted in the stretchering off on the Glens man. You can only call it as you see it and the referee deemed this a foul and flashed the red card to the Lang man, a bit harsh as both players were 100% committed going for a 50-50 ball I am sure other people will it differently, but that's football. Glens played out the final minutes with 10 men but Cambuslang were unable to get the equaliser.


F-T 1-2

Young Chloe Wright Presents Glens With Cup

Glens Celebrate With The Skinner Memorial Cup




1   Trialist

2   Doyle (Trialist 57

3   McGowan

4   McGuigan

5   Martin

6   Carson

7   Robertson (Reid 55)

8   McCracken

9   Patrick (O'Neil 68)

10  Donnelly

11  Faulds 

Subs Not Used

13 Eadie (GK)

16 Trialist