Cambuslang Rangers 0-3 Arthurlie

O.V.D. Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Rnd

Saturday 5th November

At Somervell Park


There was to be no romance of the cup this season for Cambuslang Rangers as they were knocked out in the 2nd round tie by Super League side Arthurlie at Somervell Park. Despite a 3-0 scoreline this really was another hard luck story for Scott Archer's men. The game all hinged on a poor decision to award Arthurlie a penalty midway through the 2nd half.


Both teams gave as good as they got and it was more grit and determination than skill that was on show. You can't help but think that Cambuslang's luck can't keep going the way it has so far this season.


Cambuslang secured the signings of no fewer than 3 players for this cup-tie. Keeper Colquhoun and defenders Church and McKinnon all started the game. There was a late call off from midfielder Jamie Coulter and other keeper Stevie McGovern, both declared themselves unfit for this important cup tie.


In a pretty tense opening it was Arthurlie that were seeing most of the ball but rarely threatened to do anything with it. The first point of any note came on 15 minutes when Lang skipper was, believe it or not, booked for time wasting. 1 of many strange and indeed wrong decisions from the referee. Lang keeper Colquhoun was indeed injured so Noble was about to take the bye kick for the Lang goalie but the ref saw this as a time wasting exercise, with 15 minutes on the clock, and booked Noble.

He was quickly followed by Colquhoun who was trying to explain the delay to the man in the middle but he was having none of it and flashed the yellow card at the Lang keeper too. On 24 minutes Colquhoun had his first save of the afternoon.

A quick shot on the turn was well saved and turned round the post. And this was quickly followed by another fine stop this time from McEwan's free kick.

The visitors should have opened the scoring on 25 minutes but Ryan sliced his shot well wide with only the keeper to beat. On 33 minutes it became pretty clear that ant Lang tackle would be punished not only with the free kick but also a booking yet the visitors seemed to be getting away with similar challenges. Church found himself in the ref's notebook after a late challenge on Ryan.

Allison should have been at least yellow carded after he scythed down Lang 's Stewart Taylor, but the ref didn't even have a word with the Lie player.


The game was littered with mistakes from both sides but it was Cambuslang who seemed to take a bit of heart from this as Arthurlie failed to impress.


Lie's Jack was lucky to escape a booking when he flew into Church and yet again no booking.

The ref finally showed a Lie player the yellow card when Taylor was on the end of another poor challenge this time it was Allison the culprit and rightly yellow carded. 1 minute before the break and Cambuslang had their best effort of the game so far.

A Cambuslang free kick from Menelaws saw the Lie keeper scramble the ball away for a corner and from that corner Noble saw his back post header blocked and cleared.

H-T 0-0

Gray hols up Lie attack while new signing McKinnon lends a hand

Wilson converts the spot kick after McKenzie’s dive in the box



Cambuslang started the 2nd half the way they finished the first and another great chance went a begging.

Taylor's free kick was met by McGowan but his glancing header went agonisingly passed the far post.

The visitors hit back and Ryan's effort was deflected over the bar with Colquhoun a mere spectator.

On 56 minutes strong appeals from the home players after Faulds was clearly being held back in the box but once again the ref was having none of it and waived the play on.

Minutes later and Faulds was on the end of yet another poor challenge from a Lie player this time it did get punished and McShane was booked.

With the visitors huffing and puffing and getting nowhere manager Frank Lynch decided it was time for a change, he replaced Waddle and Hobbs with McKenzie and Rhodden and the move paid off only minutes later. Lie sub McKenzie fell over in the box with no contact made on him but his dive conned the referee and the penalty kick was awarded. Cambuslang players complained but there was little point as the man in the middle had given them nothing al afternoon. Defender Wilson stepped up to blast the ball past the Lang goalie on 63 minutes. With 20 minutes remaining Cambuslang through caution to the wind and took off a defender and brought on another striker. This left Cambuslang a little short at the back which Arthurlie exposed on a few occasions. Only a minute later and the game was all but over as Ryan went through on goal and he squared for the on rushing McGarvey who fired into the empty net. Arthurlie killed off any hopes of Lang getting back into the match with a third goal on 85 minutes and this time it was a deflected effort from sub McKenzie that beat Colquhoun. Cambuslang brought on Stoddart and Gallagher but they were unable to spark a fight back in a game where the 3-0 scoreline fails to show the true pattern of the game. Cambuslang must take heart from this and bring it into the league matches and look to move forward as the proved they were capable of competing with one of the so called super league giants..


New keeper Colquhoun cuts out dangerous cross as Noble and Church look on

McGowan watches in agony as his glancing header goes inches wide


Lang Line up


Colquhoun, Noble, McGowan (Gilroy 71), Church, Gray, Wade (Gallagher 85), McKinnon, Taylor, Faulds, Porter, Menelaws (Stoddart 85)

Subs Not Used

Archer & Burns