Cambuslang Rangers 3-1 Vale of Clyde

Carlsberg Sectional League Cup

Saturday 6th August 2005

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers chances of progressing through this section were boosted after they recorded their second win in the group stages. Vale of Clyde were the visitors on Saturday and Cambuslang 3-1 win sees them sit at the top of the group with maximum points from their opening 2 games.


Cambuslang made a couple of changes to the side that won the opening game v Blantyre. Out went Porter, McCluskey and Burns to be replaced by Wade, McGowan and Tyzcinski.


The home side had a number of trialists out again as Scott Archer continues his search for new players.


The game started pretty evenly and Vale almost took the lead after 7 minutes but the effort went inches wide but the linesman had his flag up for offside. Cambuslang Rangers opened the scoring after on 13 minutes. Gilroy got on the end of O'Neil's cross and the ball fell kindly for the Lang striker and he prodded home from close range and his 3rd goal in 2 games.


Cambuslang almost doubled that lead but a superb stop from ex-Lang keeper Chris Wilson kept Tyczinski volley out. Only a minute later and the Vale should have levelled but this time it was McGovern in the Lang goal pull off a fine stop. Cambuslang were forced into a change after 35 minutes when O'Neil was on the end of a poor challenge resulting in the Lang man being carried from the field. He was replaced by Faulds.

H-T 1-0

After the restart Cambuslang almost scored a second but another stunning stop from Wilson kept Faulds effort out. He got on the end of Wade's cross and volleyed towards the bottom corner but Wilson threw himself at it and turned it round the post for the save of the game. On the hour mark and the Vale got an equaliser. McGovern was slow to react and this allowed Vale time to head home. Things seemed to be going a bit pear shaped for the Lang as skipper Noble received his marching orders for a professional foul when he hauled down vales striker as he headed towards Langs goal. No choice for the ref but to red card the Somervell captain. Vale went close from the resulting free kick but the Lang defence cleared the danger.

McGovern produced a fine stop to prevent Vale taking the lead on 65 minutes. Menelews became Lang first booking of the new season after a late challenge.

On 71 minutes the home side were awarded a penalty after Vales centre half hauled down Gilroy inside the box. Coulter stepped up to send Wilson the wrong way and restore the Lang's lead. Vale went close a minute later when a poor punch from McGovern allowed Vale an effort at goal but Menelews cleared off the line. Cambuslang were awarded another penalty kick on 80 minutes. This time Menelews was hauled back and the spot kick awarded. Coulter again sent Wilson the wrong way and Lang ran down the clock for a nice win.


Line Up

McGovern, O'Neil (Faulds 35), McGowan, Noble, Gray, Coulter, Wade, Stoddart, Menelews, Tyczinski, Gilroy (Love 84)

Subs Not Used

Trialist, Mehigan, Gallagher