St Anthony’s 4-4 Cambuslang Rangers

Saturday 6th November 2004

O.V.D. Scottish Cup 2nd Round

At McKenna Park


Cambuslang live to fight another day, but only after an almighty scare from 1st Division strugglers St Anthony’s.  A fine double from Alan McCrae in the 4-4 draw between the two sides means they will have to do it all again in next weeks replay at Somervell Park.


Despite the 8 goals this cant be desribed as an 8 goal thriller more a nighmare


Cambuslang struggled to even get a team on the park and manager Andy Cunningham admitted after the game he was forced to play unfit players in the match. Paul Burns and Jamie Coulter both played despite not being 100% fit for the game. It clearly showed as both player failed to make an impact in the match as the Ants threatened to stem roller all over the Super League opponents.


Influential sweeper Martin Feenie was sorely missed (work commitments) for his organisation skills in a defence that had barely played together before Saturdays torrid time. Fisher was thrust into the centre of defence having only come back from injury himself. Gary McGregor was on the bench again as he looks to get back to full fitness. Long term injuries Derek Carmichael, Graham Doak and Steven Tyczynski were all still missing. Keeper Craig Rowan returned to the side after missing last weeks match.


The first chance of the afternoon fell to Lang's Paul Brown after only 4 minutes. He collected Galloway's pass on the edge of the box but fired just over. On 15 minutes the game threatened to boil over as Lang's Graham was confronted by 2 Ant's players but the ref was keeping a close eye and soon put a stop to anything untoward that was about to happen. Warnings were given and I'm glad to say that was the end of that matter. The ref did his best to let the game go and kept his cards in his pocked at the meaty challenges were allowed to go as the conditions played their part. The opening goal came on 18 minutes, a good goal from an Ant's point of view but a really poor one from a Lang defensive point. Diamond waltzed past 4 really poor attempts at a challenge and his run took him into the box where he tow pocked the ball past Rowan who could do little about it. This sparked mass celebration as the 1st division boys took the lead. Galloway required treatment after  a poor challenge went unpunished yet again. Lang went close on 28 minutes but Brown's effort was blocked then cleared by the Ant's defence. Cambuslang levelled a minute later though and it was from the boot of Jamie McCarroll. From 20 yards out he volleyed past the Ants keeper who should have done better with the shot. 5 minutes later and the visitors were in front. Defender Graham had got down the line and his cross was met by Brown who at the second attempt bundled the ball home. As the game headed towards the interval, the ants drew level. Another ball into the box was not dealt with the Lang defence and this time Donnachie punished the sloppy defending when he bulleted his header past Rowan on 43 minutes. It was to get worse for the visitors as the Ants scored again a minute later. Once again it was that high ball into the box but this time it was an error from the usually reliable Rowan. He dropped the ball under no pressure and Milligan was in the right place to tap over the line to give the home side an unlikely interval lead.

H-T 3-2


Cambuslang rolled the sleeves up in the second half. Ferguson went close but the Ant's keeper saved his effort. A minute later Galloway fired inches over as the Lang fought to get back level. On 55 minutes it could have been curtains for the Super League side as Dixon found himself with only the keeper to beat but he hit his effort over the bar. The struggling Coulter was replaced by Holmes on the hour mark, the Lang man doing well to last that amount of time as he struggled with injury. Cambuslang drew level once more on 73 minutes, Galloway's ball into the box was only half cleared but the quick thinking McCrae latched on to the poor defensive header to nod home from 6 yards. and 3 minutes later it all looked rosy for the visitors when they took a deserved lead. Again McCrae was the man on hand to score. His persistence paid dividends as the Ant's defence failed to clear and the ball came to McCrae on the penalty spot. The lead lasted all of 2 minutes. Yet again another ball into the Lang box was not dealt with and Dixon scored the 4th for the Ants. The referee couldn't keep allowing the tackles to fly in and he eventually booked  the Ants defender after a cynical foul on Burns who was then replaced by McGregor. No more action and both side meet again for a place in the third round draw taking place this Sunday the 14th November..



Rowan, Ferguson, Graham, Fisher, Coulter (Holmes 60), Paterson, McCarroll, McCrae, Brown, Burns (McGregor 88), and Galloway

Subs not used

Lowe (gk) McGrath and Young