Pollok 1-2 Cambuslang Rangers

O.V.D. Scottish Cup 3rd Round

Saturday 6th December

at Newlandsfield


Cambuslang Rangers produced the shock of the round when they sensationally knocked Super League Champions and current League leaders Pollok out of the O.V.D. Scottish cup 3rd round at the weekend.


With odds available before the game of 15/2 there were a few happy punters leaving Newlandsfield at full time.


Cambuslang turned in a very impressive performance but one all Somervell Park regulars knew they were capable of producing. The home side seemed to be rattled with Cambuslang and never really got into their stride, simply because Cambuslang wouldn't allow them.


Cambuslang man of the match, keeper Craig Rowan, had arguably his busiest and probably his best game between the sticks for the Lang. He pulled of four or five top class saves at vital times during the match to keep the Lang in the tie.


Cambuslang manager Andy Cunningham made only the one change to the side that had drawn the previous game, he brought in Derek Carmichael, to stiffen up the middle of the park, at the expense of Alan McCrae who had to make do with a place on the bench.

McGregor up for the challenge as Feenie looks on

Photograph by kind permission of Polloknet


After a pretty even opening spell it was Cambuslang who had the first opportunity when Billy Holmes failed to connect properly with a Gary McGregor cross while under pressure from  Aitchison. The home side were having problems creating chances, and it took 13 minutes for their first real effort on goal, but McNeill's fired his effort  well over from the edge of the box. At the other end Lang's best chance of the half fell to Derek Carmichael who had an excellent chance to put them in front. Galloway fired over a cross and the ball came to Carmichael 5 yards out but he somehow slid his effort agonisingly wide of the Pollok goal when he really should have scored.


The first of many bookings came on 27 minutes when Galloway kicked the ball off McMenamin as Pollok  tried to take a quick free kick. McMenamin himself found his way into the book nine minutes later after a scything challenge on Langs top scorer Paul Brown. Pollok's best chance of the half came two minutes later when nice work by McNeill created an opening for Hamilton, but his effort was superbly tipped round the post by Lang keeper Rowan, with his first of a few important stops of the afternoon. Two more 'Lok players were booked before half time arrived, with McNeill booked for a foul in midfield, and Jimmy McPhee booked for a dangerous challenge on Rowan, the latter lucky to actually stay on the park at the end up after numerous other challenges went unpunished by the man in the middle.

Lang go close through Brown

Photograph by kind permission of Polloknet


H-T 0-0

The home side made a change at the start of the half but the game plan sort of back fired only a minute into it when the visitors took a deserved lead. Excellent work down the right hand side saw Galloway skip past the Lok challenges before delivering the perfect bal for Lang skipper Billy Holmes and he slotted past Wilson in the Lok goal to put the Lang 1 up.


On the hour mark the home sides afternoon just went from bad to worse as they were reduced to 10 men after Hamilton received his marching orders for throwing the ball into the face of Carmichael, and with the referee only feet away there was no surprises when he showed the Lok midfielder the red card. Carmichael was booked for the challenge on Hamilton beforehand. The home side, in an effort to get back into the game threw on McWilliams, a striker, for McLauchlin. Rowan then pulled off another vital save this time from McPhee, which was to be the Lok mans last contribution as he was replaced by McWilliams.



Lang see off another Lok attack

Photograph by kind permission of Polloknet


On 77 minutes the visitors all but wrapped up the tie, with a quite stunning strike from hit man Paul Brown. After collecting the ball 20 yards from goal the Cambuslang striker spun and unleashed a superb drive that flew into in the top corner with the Lok keeper a spectator like the rest of us. Both goalscorers were then replaced as Love and McCrae were introduced to the action. Pollok continued to collect bookings, with firstly  McWilliams being booked for a foul, and the D McWilliams picking up another needless booking for dissent as the Lok lost the plot slightly with the healthy crowd getting on their backs.

Cambuslang could have rounded of the perfect day with a third when they caught Pollok on the break but Love over hit the ball allowing the keeper to clear the danger.

Deep into stoppage time and the home team finally found away through the Lang rear guard. MCNEILL fired home a consolation goal for the home side, but the ripple of appluse that greeted it summed up the Lok’s whole afternoon.


There was no time for any more action and the Lang marched into the last 32.


Pollok: Wilson, O'Neil, M. McWilliams, Aitchison, Pacitti, Nelson, Hamilton, McMenamin (45 Crozier), McLauchlan (60 D. McWilliams), McNeill, 74 Proctor).

Not used: Sweeney, Baker.
Booked: McMenamin 37, McNeill 42, McPhee 44, Hamilton 54, M. McWilliams 80, Nelson 85, D. McWilliams 87.
Sent off: Hamilton 59 (violent conduct)
Cambuslang Rangers: Rowan, Doak, McGregor, Feenie, Martin, Coulter, Carmichael (90 Ferguson), Galloway, Holmes (79 Love), Burns, Brown (85 McCrae).

Not used: Murphy & McCarroll 
Booked: Galloway 28, Carmichael 59