Rutherglen Glencairn 2-0 Cambuslang Rangers

Sectional League Cup

Wednesday 7th August 2002

At Southcroft


Glencairn and Cambuslang kicked off the new season with a division separating the two sides. Cambuslang went into the game with a good pre-season under their belts, unbeaten in their three games. Andy Cunningham, has put together a young squad which looks to have plenty ability if given time to gel. The manager was also without his two main centre half's in Jim Kavanagh and Graeme Doak.


As is always the case at Southcroft this was to turn out to be a bruising battle between the two sides with plenty of bookings and even a sending off.


Cambuslang were under pressure from as early as the 3rd minute when McGregor was forced to head wide of his own goal while under severe pressure from the Glens bustling strike force. Only a minute later and the Glens had a good penalty claim waived away by the man in the middle. Glens were forced into an early change when they lost No8 who was replaced by No15 (sorry no names). The visitors first effort at goal came on 12 minutes when Holmes forced Glens keeper into a fine stop. The home side pressure finally played off on 20 minutes when they took the lead through No7 who headed home from No11 cross. The Cambuslang defence were nowhere and he made no mistake from 6 yards to nod past Wardlaw. That lead should have been increased moments later but No10 missed an easy chance while unmarked in the area, he shot into the side netting for another let off for the visitors. Cambuslang best chance of the half fell to McCrae but Glens keeper pulled off a stunning stop from point blank range. Glens No10 then missed another opportunity to double his sides lead Watson was left for dead before the ball was delivered across the face of goal but there were no takers.

H-T 1-0

Despite no bookings in the first half the ref more than made up for it in the second. Within a minute of the restart Glens No7 received the first booking of the game. The only surprise being the ref waited so long in delivering it despite the meaty challenges going in all around the field from both teams. Cambuslang Watson should have pulled Lang level when he met McCrae corner but the big centre headed inches over the bar. On the hour mark Cambuslang made a change when they replaced Smith with Davidson, a change that had little impact as the Glens continued to bullied the young Lang side. Both No 11's received a booking after a tangle off the ball. This was quickly followed by another heavy challenge by Glens No6 who received a yellow for his troubles. Lang’s Paterson then replaced McGregor who was unable to continue after the tackle. Holmes had a half chance but his effort was well blocked. Glens No9 then picked up a booking for one bad challenge too many. The home side made certain of the points courtesy of a Penalty after Gary Robertson hauled down Glens No9. No3 took and slotted past Wardlaw. There was still time for Glens Kielty to kick one more player but this one didn't go unpunished as the ex Lang player was given a second yellow followed by the deserved red. Disappointing gave for the visitors who know they need to toughen up a bit if they are to make an impact at this level.


Line up

Wardlaw, Galloway, McGregor, Robertson, Watson, Webster, Smith, McCrae, Daisley, Holmes & McFarlane

Subs from Bell, McGovern, Patterson, Davidson, Ferguson