Cumbernauld United 1-1 Cambuslang Rangers

Rockware Glass Super 1st Division

Saturday 8th February

At Guys Meadow


Cambuslang halted there recent poor run of defeats when they picked up their first point since early November. The 1-1 draw at Cumbernauld was a much needed result that will hopefully kick start the side into picking up more points in the run in. With only 6 games remaining every point will be vital for the Lang. For the second week in a row, Cambuslang were reduced to 10 men when Paterson was sent for an early bath for two stupid bookings for speaking back to the referee.


Cambuslang once again rang the changes in an attempt to find the right combination to produce a wining formula. McCrae, Holmes and Feenie all dropped to the bench and were replaced by Dignam, Daisley and Kenny Balmain, making his first start since before Christmas due to injury.


The visitors found themselves on the back foot early on and were lucky not to fall behind on a few occasions. The home side were raining in shots from all angles but very few were troubling McGovern in the Lang goal. The opening 10 minutes saw the home side dominate and Cambuslang were unable to get out of their own half. Glancy firing in from the edge of the box but his effort went inches wide with McGovern rooted to the spot. On the half hour mark Cumbernauld squarned another good chance to open the scoring when Glancy volleyed into the side netting. As the game was heading for the half time break Paterson picked up his first booking of the game for mouthing off to the Referee.

H-T 0-0


Cumbernauld started the second half brightly and again found themselves with an opportunity to open the scoring but once again they failed to trouble McGovern, when they fired over the bar. A minute later and it was the Lang keeper to the rescue, this time he saved an effort from Glancy who really should have done better with only the keeper to beat but McGovern stood up well and blocked the shot. On the hour mark Cambuslang had strong appeals for a penalty waived away by the man in the middle. Webster was clearly struck in the face but the referee was having none of it and indeed booked the Cambuslang player for over protesting the point. Cambuslang replaced Dignam and Webster with Holmes and Feenie. The breakthrough eventually came for the home side on 68 minutes. Ex Lang defender Greig McDonald rose at the back post and headed across goal to Glancy who slotted past McGovern. Two minutes later and the Lang were down to 10 men when Paterson opened his mouth once to often and the referee produced the second yellow swiftly followed with a red. Despite going down to 10 men Cambuslang began to come into the game a bit more. The home sides lead lasted all of 5 minutes. Cambuslang got the equaliser through Ferguson got his head onto Balmains cross and headed home. Cambuslang almost grabbed a second minutes later but McGregor's header was well saved by the Nauld keeper. Cambuslang had their keeper to thank yet again when Daisley gave the ball away allowing Cumbernauld in. Glancy fired in a shot that was well parried by McGovern then the follow up from the same player was well blocked before being cleared. The home side should have sealed the win in the final minute but the Nauld striker went for glory shooting at the near post when he had 2 players waiting on the cut back.




McGovern, Ferguson, McGregor, Doak, Kavanagh, Balmain, Paterson, Stoddart (McCrae 75), Daisley, Webster (Feenie 61), Dignam (Holmes 61)


Subs Not Used McDonald & Lyonns