Cambuslang Rangers 2-1 Rutherglen Glencairn







Sectional League Cup

Somervell Park

Wednesday 8th August

Cambuslang Rangers kicked off their defence of the Sectional League Cup with the customary opener against local rivals Glencairn, it was the home side who came out on top courtesy of a last minute winner from the head of last seasons top scorer Billy Holmes. It was a deserved result as they had dominated for long spells only for the Glens to equalise against the run of play.

Glencairn were handed an early chance when Lang keeper McDougall fluffed a pass back but S Smith was unable to capitalise as McDougall saved easily. Glencairn then tested McDougall again this time it was from the head of Smith but McDougall produced a fine stop. Cambuslang then came closest to opening the scoring when Paterson saw his effort come of the face of the bar before being cleared. Cambuslang did make the breakthrough on 19 minutes, with a big helping hand from the Glens keeper, in his effort to clear the ball up field he proceeded to hit the ball off the face of Stuart Gauley and the ball rebounded into the back of the net. Cambuslang's Devanney then had a go form 30 yards when he spotted the keeper off his line but he managed to get back and gather the ball under the bar. Glencairn were forced into a first half substitution when they lost Caldwell through injury and G Smith replaced him.

H-T 1-0

Straight from the kick off and Cambuslang again struck the woodwork, Gauley trying to catch out the keeper. The Glens keeper was called into action when Maxwell fired in a shot which the keeper saved well. Glens substitute was the first player into the referee notebook for a poor challenge. While Cambuslang were having most of the play the visitors grabbed an equaliser totally against the run of play. Substitute G Smith nodded home a far post corner after finding himself unmarked. Cambuslang then had John Richardson booked for dissent. Glencairn then through on substitute Mills for S Smith and Jackson for McKay. Cambuslang went close with 10 minutes remaining when Gauley's effort narrowly missed the back post and Holmes was only inches away from getting a touch. Glencairn were finished either when Quinn tested McDougall after a fine turn and shot from the edge of the box. The talking point of the evening came when Cambuslang were denied a penalty kick of the Stonewall variety after Billy Holmes was clearly pushed in the box but the referee seemed to be the only one in the park that didn't see it. Despite this Cambuslang grabbed the winner they had worked so hard for and again you have to question the Glens Goalkeeper. Gauley crossed to the edge of the penalty box which was met by Holmes who looped his header over the keeper who found himself in the middle of no mans land and could only watch in agony as the ball looped over his head and into the back of the net.

F-T 2-1

Line ups


McDougall, Devanney, Kavanagh, Doak, Watson, Richardson, Mitchell, Paterson, Holmes, Gauley & Maxwell

Subs From: Dunn, Wardlaw, Levar, Simpson, Johnston


Brunton, McInnich, Jarvis, Gentles, Daly, Caldwell, McKay, Murray, S Smith, Quinn & Ayton

Subs From: Jackson, G Smith, Dykes, Mills