Cambuslang Rangers 1-3 Maybole

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 8th October

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers suffered another home defeat this time it was Ayrshire side Maybole who left Somervell Park with all 3 points courtesy of an easy 3-1 victory. The home side failed to show any of the fighting spirit that saw them pick up a point v Vale of Clyde the previous week.


I dis-jointed side were unable to cope with the simplest of tasks and suffered because of that..


Manager Scott Archer made only the one change to the side from the last game and Brian Timmons was given a start at the expense of McAdam who had to make do with a seat on the bench, as did new signing Stewart Taylor.


Things looked bright in the beginning for Cambuslang as they made a couple of chances for themselves but time after time they failed to work the Maybole keeper. After only 10 minutes Stoddart had a chance but his drive was straight at the goalie who saved easily. Cambuslang fell behind after 17 minutes when dozy defending allowed Kerr time to  nip in front of Noble and nod past McGovern. Four minutes later and that lead should have been doubled. Another mix up in the Lang defence allowed Kerr in on the keeper but he saw his effort go wide of the far post. For all Cambuslang's huffing and puffing very little was being created in front of the oppositions goal.

H-T 0-1


H-T 0-0



Young Defender Kerr Gray Stick In a Leg At The Vtal Moment v Maybole


Coulter and Stoddart Combine Down Lang’s Right Side v Maybole



Cambuslang were forced into a change only five minutes into the 2nd half. O'Neil found himself on the end of a really poor tackle and had to be replaced by Gallagher. On the hour mark and Cambuslang grabbed an unlikely equaliser. Burns played the ball to Menelaws and his cross was tapped home by Porter. And much to the surprise of most people that was his last contribution as he was substituted a minute later. He was replaced by Gilroy. Cambuslang also gave recent signing Stewart Taylor a run out and he replaced Coulter.


The visitors should have regained the lead a couple of minutes later, Flannigan seemed to go past the Lang defence as if they weren't even there but he failed to trouble McGovern with his shot. On 75 minutes the visitors went back in front. A drive from the edge of the box beat McGovern who could only stand and watch as it flew past him. Cambuslang picked up their first booking of the afternoon when Gallagher was yellow carded for dissent. Things went from bad to worse for the homes side when they were reduced to 10 men. Wade received a straight red card after a late challenge on Murphy. It was nothing more that  a rash challenge and the red card did seem a bit harsh. In the final minute Maybole grabbed another and killed off any hopes of a Cambuslang fight back. Kerr played the ball back to McGovern and he smashed it off the Maybole attacker and the ball fell kindly for sub Scott to tap home the visitors 3rd of the afternoon.