Cambuslang Rangers 4 - 0 Buckie Rovers

O.V.D.Scottish Cup 3rd Round

Saturday 8th November

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang progressed into the 3rd round of the O.V.D. Scottish cup at the weekend courtesy of a 4-0 win over North side Buckie Rovers. Goals from Love, Burns and a double from Carmichael finally saw off a stuffy Buckie.


Cambuslang were stretched to the limit after injuries ruled out a number of players and coach Scott Archer had to list himself as a substitute in case of any emergency.


The home side were quickest out the starting blocks and seemed to catch the visitorís cold and they raced into a 2-goal lead after only 7 minutes. Richie Love scored the first after latching onto a through ball from Brown and he slotted past the keeper after 5 minutes and a couple of minutes later it was 2. McCarroll played in Burns who rifled his shot past the goalie. Despite the 2 goal advantage the visitors never gave up and indeed went onto dominate the rest of the half but without troubling the Lang defence or keeper. They kept the ball well but were very poor in the final third of the field. Cambuslang picked up a booking when Holmes was yellow carded for disputing a poor decision from the referee. The visitors should have pulled a goal back on 20 minutes but Collins managed to head wide from 5 yards out, a poor miss. On the half hour mark, Cambuslang's injury list got longer, Defender Burns had to be carried from the park after sustaining a knee injury. Carmichael replaced him. The home side then picked up their second caution of the afternoon when Galloway was booked for a poor challenge. The half ended with an effort from Brown that went inches wide of the far post.


H-T 2-0


Cambuslang were forced to use a second substitute after Richie Love failed to appear after the break, his spot taken by Alan McCrae. The visitors picked up their first caution of the game when Shand was booked for a blatant hand ball. Top scorer Paul Brown then rattled the bar with a thunderous drive, it was at this stage you began to feel for the Lang top scorer as everything he tried either rattled the woodwork or was saved. Buckie should have found the back of the net on 50 minutes but Smith saw his effort deflect onto the bar and eventually the danger was cleared. Cambuslang's Brown then had a few chances in the space of a couple of minutes. The first came as he was played in on goal and he should have scored but pulled the shot wide of target. Galloway then played him in and as he fired his shot in the referee pulled the play back for an offside, another poor decision from the man in the middle. He then fired in a free kick that was superbly saved by the Buckie keeper. Cambuslang finally scored a third and it came from the boot of substitute Carmichael. He was in the right place as a poor defensive header fell to him 16 yards out and he fired into the bottom corner. The score should have been added to again Brown the sinner as he headed wide a Galloway cross. Cambuslang replaced Ferguson with Martin who is just returning to action after a leg injury. Cambuslang were awarded a penalty with 15 minutes remaining. Skipper Billy Holmes was bearing down on goal but was pulled down just inside the box and the referee awarded the spot kick, the Buckie player Massie received a 2nd booking for the foul and was sent off. Carmichael slotted home the penalty for his second of the match. The final action of the game should have ended in a goal but Holmes saw his drive superbly saved and the ball fell to Brown and from a tight angle he rattled the post to round of a miserable day for the striker but a good one for the team.


Line up.

Rowan, Doak, McGregor, Fennie, Ferguson (Martin 75), McCarroll, Burns (Carmichael 30), Galloway, Brown, Love (McCrae 45), Holmes

Subs Not Used

Archer & Murphy


Cambuslang now await the 3rd round draw which will take place after the replays in a couple of weeks.