Cambuslang Rangers 1-1 Ashfield

(Ashfield win 4-2 on pens)

Central League Cup 1st Round

At Somervell Park

Saturday 9th February 2002


Cambuslang Rangers were sensationally dumped out of the League Cup 1st Round by 2nd division Ashfield at the weekend. It was another embarrassing cup exit for the Somervell Park side and was on a par with the O.V.D cup exit earlier in the season. A lack lustre display saw them dumped 4-2 in a penalty shoot out. The home fans had waited 2 weeks for this game due to the bad weather and were dished up a plate of mince.

Manager Andy Cunningham made some changes to the side that defeated Petershill in there last outing, Paterson made a start after injury, Mitchell too started the game, as did Mark Dunn. Mark Dasiley dropped to the bench alongside Gary McGregor.


The game was a pretty drab affair with neither side really able to play on the heavy surface. It was 15 minutes before there was a shot at goal and it came from the home side Paterson, he fired in a right foot volley that went narrowly wide of the post. Ashfield went close through McKendry who sidestepped the Lang defence before firing just over the bar. The only talking point of the first half was when the referee had to go off injured when he was struck in the face with the ball. His assistant took over in the middle. Soon after the game had re started and the home side were one down. A poor defensive header by Kavanagh who headed it straight to Ashfield's Christie and his effort ended up in the back of the net despite Wardlaws efforts to get there but he slipped and it went over his head into the net. In first half stoppage time Gauley should have put the Lang level but he pulled his shot wide of the post. The visitors almost went 2 up but for an excellent stop by Wardlaw in the Lang goal, Christie's header superbly palmed away.

John Mitchell, just one of the under achievers on show in this game

Gary Robertson

H-T 0-1


Cambuslang tried in vain to get back on level terms and both Gauley and Doak saw efforts well saved by eh Ashfield keeper. Cambuslang threw on Gilhanney and Holmes for Mitchell and Dunn. Holmes almost made an immediate impact but his header from Paterson's cross went just wide. Despite Cambuslangs pressure and dominance they were still unable to find away past the plucky Ashfield back line. Balmain was next to have a go but his overhead kick was cleared off the line. In a last ditch attempt to get the equaliser Cambuslang replaced Taylor with Dasiley. With 5 minutes remaining Cambuslang grabbed an equaliser through substitute Billy Holmes. He got on the end of Gary Robertson's cross and headed past Stevenson in the Ashfield goal. Despite Cambuslangs efforts they were unable to grab a winner and the game went straight to penalties.

Billy Holmes


Cambuslang were first to go and went 1 up through John Richardson, Lansdowne levelled sending Wardlaw the wrong way. Holmes was next up and his kick was saved. McKendry put the visitors in front when he slotted home. Jim Kavanagh then rattled a post with his kick. Christie put his kick away easily to put Ashfield in a nice position. Next up for the Lang was Daisley who had to score to keep the Lang in the tie and he did with ease. Pressure was now on Ashfield Haggerty who knew if he scored that would send his side into the next round. He calmly slotted past Wardlaw to book there place in the next round and claim a big scalp for the 2nd division side.

Kenny Balmain watches as another chance goes begging


Line up


Wardlaw, Robertson, Taylor (Daisley 85), Kavanagh, Doak, Richardson, Dunn (Holmes 50), Balmain, Gauley, Paterson & Mitchell (Gilhanney 50)

Subs not used McGregor, McDougall

Ashfield from Stevenson, Gordon, Haggerty, Quigley, McLaughlin, McKendry, Lansdowne, Whaetley, Christie, McFarlane & Forsyth

Subs Gordon, Lightbody, McDonald





Thanks go to Frank Reilly for supplying today's match pics