Neilston 3-3 Cambuslang Rangers

Stagecoach Super League 1st Division

Saturday 9th April

At The Brig 'O' Lea Stadium



Cambuslang Rangers will be cursing themselves after letting slip a 2 goal advantage and with it a valuable 2 points. Leading 3-1 with 15 minutes left Cambuslang sat back an invited trouble and it cost them dear as Neilston scored 2 late goals to snatch a share of the spoils.


Cambuslang Rangers went into the game minus Galloway and Carmichael who were suspended following their red cards in the previous match. Galloway picking up a 2 game ban while Carmichael got 3 games. McCarroll, McGregor, Tyczinski, Young and Holmes all ruled out through injury meant that Manager Andy Cunningham and assistant Scott Archer were once again listed as subs.


The home side started the brighter of the two sides and should have opened the scoring inside the first minute but the Lang defence eventually cleared the danger. 5 minutes later and again they found space inside the Lang box but Rowan made a comfortable save. Neilston were having the better of the chances in the opening 20 minutes and they went close again, this time when McKee sent a telling ball across the face of goal but to the relief of the Lang defence there were no takers. The opening goal came on 25 minutes and it was the visitors who scored. Brown set up McCrae who made space for the shot and fired a thunderous drive past the despairing dive of the Neilston Number 1.


Cambuslang were getting back into the game and creating a few chances of their own now. Both Brown and Coulter went close with similar efforts but both went narrowly wide of the target. with the interval looming the home side drew level. Murdoch slipped past a few weak tackles before despatching the ball past Rowan.


H-T 1-1


Cambuslang made the perfect start to the second half when they scored after only a minute of the restart. McCrae and Brown combined resulting in Brown with only the keeper to beat, he calmly rounded the keeper and tapped home. Minutes later and McCrae tested the Neilston keeper who did well to turn the Lang mans shot over the bar. On the hour mark and Cambuslang should have increased their lead, McCrae played in Brown and the keeper made a good stop but the Lang striker should have done better. On 70 minutes Cambuslang did increase their lead. Burns corner was fired across goal and McCrae was on hand to tap home. A bizarre moment followed as McCrae's team-mates were prevented from joining him to celebrate as the ref halted them saying it was time wasting and threatened to show the yellow card.


Neilston could have pulled a goal back but McKee saw his shot whistle inches wide with Rowan rooted to the spot. They did manage to pull a goal back on 77 minutes. Murdoch shot found the bottom corner. Cambuslang for whatever reason seemed to sit back and invite Neilston onto them. With a side who has struggled at the back all season it did seem a strange tactic to employ. They just sat along the penalty area with no out ball as there was no one in the middle of the park to pick up any loose balls, a ploy that cost them the 3 points.


With 5 minutes remaining Cambuslang replaced the hard working McCrae with assistant Scott Archer entering the frae. Neilston snatched a share of the points with only a minute left. A cross into the box was not dealt with and Rowans poor punch allowed McKee the time and space to toe the ball home for an unlikely point.


F-T 3-3


Rowan, Fisher, McGowan, Feenie, Ferguson, Coulter, Paterson, Brown, McCrae (Archer 85), Burns & Graham (Trialist 80)

Subs Not Used Cunningham, Lowe & Holmes