Lugar Boswell Thistle 1-4 Cambuslang Rangers

Stagecoach Super League 1st Division

Saturday 2nd October


Cambuslang Rangers bounced back from the disappointment of last weekends defeat at Hurlford with a comfortable 4-1 over Lugar Boswell. This was a team that Manager Andy Cunningham admitted knowing very little about.


As it turned out they posed very little threat to the far from solid defence of Cambuslang.


Andy must now be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel as two of his players sidelined since the start of the season made returns to the team. Last season's top scorer, Paul Brown,was a welcome sight in the starting line up. And in typical fashion he announced his return with a hat trick. Also making an appearance from the subs bench was Steven Tyczynski who came on late in the game but showed the fans enough to prove he will a valuable addition each week. On the down side long term injuries Derek Carmichael and Graham Doak were still out, the later could be missing for some time as he awaits results on ligament damage that he may have sustained Last Season.


An improved performance for the Lang and with the return of Brown and McCrae Cambuslang's options seem to be getting better, this could be the turning point for Cambuslang as they now look to climb the table.


The match itself was mostly one way traffic as the home side failed to threaten Rowan in Lang's goal. The first chance of the game fell to Alan McCrae after only 3 minutes but he shot just wide from the edge of the box. On 10 minutes another chance for the visitors but this time Paul Brown failed to make it count and he shot wide too. The home side's first real effort at goal came after 20 minutes of being on the back foot. Gardiner the sinner here as headed over from 6 yards when he really should have scored. Lang's Paul Burns tested the keeper 10 minutes later who produced a fine stop. Willie Galloway played a nice pass to set Brown on his way but the Lang striker saw his shot deflected inches over the bar. The first caution of the game came on 37 minutes when McFadden was booked for a poor challenge on Galloway. 5 minutes before the break and it was the home side who opened the scoring, much against the run of play. Cambuslang defender Gary McGregor broke up field but a loose pass allowed Proctor to play the ball into the space vacated by McGregor and McDonald latched onto the ball and cut into the box before delivering a shot that was well saved by Rowan but he couldn't hold the shot and that allowed Campbell time to smash the ball home and give the home side an underserved lead. 2 minutes later and the visitors were screaming for a penalty. Jamie McCarroll upended in the box, ala stone waller type, but the referee waived play on. The home side got level on 44 minutes. A fine surging run by Paterson who then fed McCrae with the ball and he slipped it to Brown who made no mistake and slotted home.

H-T 1-1


During the half time break Cambuslang were forced into a change when McGregor failed to show, an injury picked up at the end of the half saw Graham take his spot. On 55 minutes it was the visitors again doing all the pressing and they went close through another fine effort from McCarroll but the keeper was equal to it has he produced a fine stop. Brown went close with a header but this was saved too. Cambuslang picked up their first booking of the afternoon when McCrae was yellow carded for dissent. On 65 minutes Cambuslang should have taken the lead but Galloway shot straight at the keeper. The visitors did take the lead on 70 minutes. A break from the back by Fisher who in turn played the ball to Brown and he slipped a nice pass to McCrae. The Lang striker then sold the keeper a dummied and left him sitting on his back side and McCrae took the ball round him and slotted home. Within about a minute it was 3-1. Coulter played in Paterson who sprung the offside trap, his cross found Brown who side footed the ball past the Lugar keeper. This sparked furious protests from Lugar as the remonstrated with the official for not giving the off side. The keeper picked up a booking for protesting too much, this was followed by a 2nd yellow and then Red for Proctor who complained that little bit too hard. With the hard work looking to have been done Cambuslang made a change, replacing Burns with McGrath. Cambuslang weren't finished there though and they grabbed a 4th on 85 minutes and it was that man Brown on hand for his third of the game. A fine run and cross by Galloway saw Brown rise a bullet his header past the helpless keeper to cap a fine return to the side. Cambuslang then gave another returning player a run when they brought on Steven Tyczynski in the final minutes.


Line up


Rowan, Fisher, McGregor (Graham 45), Feenie, Coulter, Paterson, Burns (McGrath), McCarroll, McCrae, Brown (Tyczynski 88), Galloway


Subs Not Used Petrik & Holmes