Largs Thistle 1-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Rockware Super 1st Division

Saturday 9th November

at Barrfields Park


Cambuslang found themselves on the road yet again this time they travelled to take on Largs, a team they played only a couple of weeks ago but because both sides were knocked out of the Scottish cup early meant they were the only sides available for league duty. After last weeks disappointing display in the 5-2 drubbing by Shotts Cambuslang were again forced into changes in personnel. Jim Kavanagh and Kenny Balmain were still missing through injuries. Keeper McGovern lost his place between the sticks as Alan Wardlaw came back into the side.


The game itself was a pretty drab encounter but the visitors did come out on top with the same scoreline as the last time they met, 2-1 to the Lang.


The game started very tamely with neither team creating any chances for the strikers and the ball was just being fired from one end of the park to the other. It was a full 20 minutes before the first effort at goal and it came from the homeside. A corner was flighted into the box and it was met well by Meechan but his header went inches over the bar. Cambuslang's first effort came from Carmichael but his effort was a poor one and the keeper easily saved. The home side should have opened the scoring on 25 minutes when Meechan's lob beat Wardlaw but Foster was on hand to clear the danger. Cambuslang were awarded a penalty on the half hour mark when McCrae was barged over in the box and Derek Carmichael slotted to put the Lang in front with there first real attack of the first half.


H-T 0-1


Cambuslang came out in the second half looking the more hungrier side and it was no surprise when they grabbed a second. McCrae played a superb defence splitting pass that Holmes latched onto and he calmly slotted past the keeper. The home side were incensed with the decision not to award offside as Carmichael was in the offside position but as he was running away from play the flag, quite rightly, stayed down. Cambuslang almost grabbed another when Carmichael fired in a thunderous shot but the keeper pulled off a super stop to keep the ball out. Carmichael was again unlucky when his header was again well saved this time the keeper diving to his left turned the ball round the post. Cambuslang made a double change when Dignam and Taylor replaced Holmes and McCrae. The sub seemed to have an effect on the team as the seemed to lose their way a little and allowed Largs to come into the game a bit more. With 5 minutes remaining the home side were thrown a life line when a mistake by Foster allowed Largs in to get a goal back and this set up a nervy last 5 minutes in a game Cambuslang were cruising in at 2-0. A minute later and Largs should have been level but a free header was put wide from only 5 yards out. The game exploded with only a minute remaining and both sides were reduced to 10 men. Carmichael and A Largs defender tangled going for a ball and both player squared up to each other and as they both raised their arms they had to go. Largs keeper can count himself lucky not to be sent off too as he had a kick at Carmichael as he lay on the floor. The home side thought they had got the late leveller but the linesman had flagged for offside so the goal didn't count. Into stoppage time and it was still all Largs searching for the goal that would have earned a share of the points. The last attack of the game resulted in a quite stunning save from Lang's keeper Wardlaw. The ball seemed to be heading into the top corner but Wardlaw somehow managed to get a hand on the ball and turn it over the bar, stunning stuff.

Cambuslang held on for all three points that pout them top of the Super League First Division for the first time.


Lang Line up

Wardlaw, Galloway, McGregor, Foster, Ferguson, Webster, Paterson, McCrae (Taylor 80), Carmichael, Holmes (Dignam 80), McFarlane

Subs not used Daisley, McGovern, and Fay.