St Anthonyís 2-3 Cambuslang Rangers

Central Region 1st Division

Saturday 10th Match 2007

at McKenna Park


Cambuslang Rangers turned in one of their best performances of the season and easily the best since new management team of Alan Wardlaw and Gary Shillady took charge. The 3-2 Scoreline fails to tell the whole story of a match where Cambuslang stormed into a 3-0 lead before a slight wobble threatened to ruin what should have been a comfortable win. A disputed penalty was awarded to the home side and then a freak wind assisted shot caught out Chappell to set up a tense ending.


The return to the side of Rab Wyatt seemed to be the difference as the Lang man notched a hat trick. There were a couple of changes to the side that lost to Clydebank, back came Doyle and also a start for Divers at right back. Hughes was missing from the midfield and manager Wardlaw changed his system meaning a few positional changes for Doak and McGuigan.


Doak With Another Fine Challenge

Kavanagh and McGowan Combine


It was a dream start for Cambuslang Rangers when they went in front with only 4 minutes on the clock. Coyle picked up the ball in midfield and he played in Wyatt at the edge of the box, still with it all to do Wyatt got past the Ant's defence before poking the ball past the keeper and into the net.


A couple of minutes later and McGowan saw his shot blocked.


With 15 minutes gone Lang keeper Chappel was called into action when he had to turn Mansari's effort round the post. Cambuslang should have doubled their lead on 30 minutes. A fine surging run by Taylor down the left who then sent over a perfect cross for Wyatt but the big striker nodded inches wide of Turners right hand post. The first booking of the game came on 38 minutes when Divers for Lang was cautioned for a late challenge.


And just on the half time whistle Lang had a shot cleared off the line when all it needed was the slightest of touches, but the Ant's managed to scramble it away.


H-T 0-1

Cassidy Gave Antís Defence No Time At All

Cassidy And Wyatt Linked Up Well


Cambuslang started the 2nd half in identical fashion as the first and that was by scoring. Wyatt with a superb goal, he spotted the Ants keeper Turner off his line and with the swirling wind he fired a shot from all of 30 yards that flew over Turner and dipped under the bar to hand Lang a 2 goal cushion.


The home side should have got a goal back on 48 minutes. A cross into the box was missed by Cambuslang and Ants Mansari had a free header but he put it tamely over the bar.


Lang striker Wyatt grabbed his and Langs third of the afternoon on 50 minutes. A mix up in the Ants defence saw Keeper and defender leave it to each other allowing Wyatt time to nip in and knock the ball home. 2 minutes later and Wyatt should have had a 4th but this time Turner pulled off a fine save to deny the striker.


The Ants were dealt a blow on 52 minutes Mansari giving his marching orders for dissent towards the referee, and it must have been strong words for the ref to show a straight red card. On the hour mark, St Ants were denied a penalty kick, of the stone wall variety, when McGowan clearly pushed Mulherron in the box, but the ref surprised even the Lang fans by waiving play on. A huge let off for the visitors.


Cambuslang made a change on 63 minutes when Gallagher came on to replace Doyle. The ref more than made up for his missed penalty incident by awarding the Ants a spot kick, which was soft to say the least. Gallagher and Mulherron just seemed to fall over but none the less the penalty was awarded. Ants Mulherron stepped up and sent Chappel the wrong way and give the Ants a much needed lift.


Chappel Sent Wrong Way At Penalty

McGuigan Lead Away After Exchange With Mulherron


Another strange decision from the ref came when Doak won the ball in midfield but the ref pulled play back and booked the Lang player for a 'foul'. On 70 minutes Cambuslang replaced hat trick hero Wyatt with Leon Kondol. His job to hold play up and help Lang keep the bal, a job well done in the end.


St Ants can think themselves lucky not to go down to 9 men when Donaghy went right through McGowan but the ref only yellow carded the player. The tackles were coming thick and fast now as Ants fought for every ball in an attempt to get another back. And it wasn't long before they did.


This was of the fluke variety and Lang keeper Chappel didn't help matter by getting caught underneath the flight of the ball into the box. With the wind assisting it somehow ended up in the back of the net and it was game on again. Despite the slight Lang wobble, Kondol and Cassidy up front were holding the ball well and unlike other games, Cambuslang didn't panic and continued to knock the ball around.


On 84 minutes another change for Lang seen Doak make way for Robertson, another player who can keep hold of the ball in tight situations.


The game almost erupted when Taylor took a slap to the back of the head from McCuish, but the ref missed it yet a gain and the Ants player got off Scot free. Disappointing to see this after such a good game. Cambuslang ran down the clock to collect a much needed 3 points against a side who had been on an excellent run of late winning 6 of their last 7 games.


Hat Trick Hero Rab Wyatt



Lang Line Up

For More Shots From The Game
























Doak (Robertson 84)

Doyle (Gallagher 63)



Wyatt (Kondol 70)








Click Here