Beith 3-0 Cambuslang Rangers

Rockware Glass Super 1st division

Saturday 10th May

at Winton Park


Cambuslang brought the curtain down on what can only be described as a quite miserable league campaign. In fact the season as a whole has been a pretty poor one. With relegation still a distinct possibility it is now out of the Somervell Park sides own hands as to which division they will be playing in next season. They must now hope that Cumbernauld, who are subject to a SJFA investigation into playing an ineligible player, and they lose the 3 points gained from that match. Also they must hope the side directly below them, Hurlford, lost their final game this Saturday against Renfrew. It is still all if buts and maybes but all will be settled on Saturday as Cambuslang stand back and watch it unfurl.


The home side are still in the hunt for a promotion spot and this would ensure that this would be every bit as difficult a game they could have expected.


Cambuslang made a couple of changes to the side that lost by the single goal vs. Shettleston last Monday night. Dignam and Daisley were ruled out through injury. Balmain and Feeney coming into the starting line up.


Indications of just how difficult an afternoon Cambuslang were in for became apparent after only 3 minutes when McGovern in the Lang goal had to be sharp after the Lang defence stood waiting on an offside flag, but McGovern reacted quickly to block the shot. Only a minute later and Beith had another great opportunity to open the scoring but this time the shot was pulled wide of the goal. Cambuslang had a chance at the other end when Holmes played in Balmain but the keeper did enough to thwart the Lang midfielder. Balmain then went close with a shot from the edge of the box that went inches over the bar. Cambuslang were dealt a blow when Gary McGregor hobbled from the field after only 15 minutes. With a ideal replacement on the bench, Stewart Taylor, Cambuslang management team surprised everyone by bringing on Stoddart, a midfielder, instead. As the game raged on Cambuslang picked up the first booking of the afternoon when Galloway was booked for a foul when he clearly played the ball. Carmichael had the Lang's next effort but it was high, wide and not very handsome. just before the break Cambuslang found themselves a goal down. A long hopeful ball from defence caught Cambuslang napping and McGovern came sprinting from goal only for the Beith striker to knock the ball home.


H-T 1-0


The second half didn't get any better for the visitors as the faced a barrage of shots from the home side. Cambuslang almost levelled the match when Galloway found himself in space but he blasted his shot over the bar. Beith grabbed the all important second goal after Balmain gave the ball away needlessly to the Beith striker who made no mistake in despatching his shot past McGovern in the Lang goal. The goal tally should have been increased only a minute later but the chance was squarned by the Beith striker. Another chance went a begging when the home side once again found themselves presented with an opportunity this time a good save from McGovern kept the ball from ending up in the back of the net. It wasn't all one way traffic though and Cambuslang did have some chances of their own. None more so than substitute Stoddart who had an effort well saved by the Beith keeper. The visitors afternoon just went from bad to worse when they were reduced to 10 men. Carmichael was red carded for an off the ball incident spotted by the lines man. With 15 minutes left on the clock the game was over as a contest when the home side grabbed the third of the afternoon. Again the offside trap failed and allowed Beith in on goal and they easily slotted past a once again exposed Lang keeper.


F-T 3-0



McGovern, Ferguson, McGregor (Stoddart 15), Kavanagh, Doak, Webster, Balmain, Feeney (McCrae 75), Holmes, Carmichael & Galloway


Subs Not Used Wardlaw, Taylor & Foster