Cambuslang Rangers 0-2 East Kilbride Thistle

Sectional League Cup

Saturday 10th August 2002

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang knew a win was needed if they had any chance of reaching the next stages of the Sectional League cup, also a much-improved performance from the last game too.


Manager Andy Cunningham made a couple of changes to the side that was easily beaten at Southcroft in midweek. Ferguson came in for Galloway and Patterson, who did well when he came on against Glencairn, earned himself a starting slot in place of Smith who dropped to the bench.


The visitors almost opened the scoring with the first attack of the match but some last ditch tackles and a superb save from Wardlaw kept the score at 0-0. Cambuslang responded with a shot from McCrae which was well saved. East Kilbride had another glorious chance but Sweeney headed tamely over from about 6 yards out. The chances were coming thick and fast for the visitors but no one was really testing Wardlaw in the Lang goal. Fellowes was next but his effort was put over the bar. Cambuslang had a rare chance at the other rend but Watson headed over the bar. Ek's Falconer then latched onto a mistake by Watson and Robertson in the Lang defence but his shot could only find the side net. The visitors were forced into an early change when McVey came on in place of Penman. In the dieing minutes the visitors were awarded a penalty kick after Robertson was adjudged to have fouled McBride. As if the Penalty wasn't punishment enough the ref red carded Robertson which seemed a little harsh at the time. Robertson wasn't too happy about the decision to say the least. Watson stepped up and calmly slotted the ball past the despairing dive of Wardlaw.

H-T 0-1

Cambuslang made a change at the start of the second half replacing McCrae with Smith. Patterson picked up an early booking as the Cambuslang frustration began to show. The home fans thought the Lang were back on level terms after Daisley diverted Holmes cross into the net but the big striker used an arm and was lucky not to be booked. On the hour mark Daisley picked up a needless booking after a poor challenge into he centre circle. Cambuslang then replaced Watson and Daisley with Galloway and Earlie. Smith had a chance but he was crowded out and the shot blocked for a corner. The home side should have been back on level terms with fifteen minute left but McGregor somehow missed from 5 yards. Wardlaw was called into action soon after and produced another fine stop this time from EK McBride. The visitors assured themselves of all 3 points in the dieing minutes of the game courtesy of a miss kick from Substitute McVey, he met a Watson corner but he volleyed into the ground and the ball loped up and over Wardlaw into the net to round off a miserable week for the Somervell Park side.


Line ups


Wardlaw, Ferguson, McGregor, Robertson, Watson, Webster, Paterson, Holmes, Daisley, McCrae& McFarlane

Subs from Galloway, Earlie, Smith & Bell



Moy, Shearer, Penman, McBride, Lees, Watson, Kelly, Brogan, Fellowes, Falconer & Sweeney

Subs from Doyle, McVey, McDade & Brunton