Glencairn 2-1 Cambuslang Rangers

Sectional League Cup

Wednesday 10th August

at Southcroft


Glencairn and Cambuslang went head to head in the first meeting of the 2 sides since this competition last season. Cambuslang suffered 2 defeats at the hands of their local rivals and were hoping to avenge this.


Glencairn, the lower league side, were a bit sluggish at the start and it was Cambuslang looking the more threatening of the two. Indeed Cambuslang opened the scoring after only 7 minutes when Tyzcinski chested into the path of McLuskey who rifled home a shot from the edge of the box.


The first yellow of the game went to Glens centre half Scott Smith for persistent fouling. Glencairn had settled into a bit of a rhythm and were beginning to find gaps in the Lang defence. Gallagher played the ball inside Kerr who was easily out ran by Donaldson who then hit a shot into the top corner that McGovern in the Lang goal could only stand and watch. Cambuslang picked up their first booking of the game and Wade the sinner for speaking out of turn. Cambuslang almost regained the lead on 36 minutes but Menelews saw his effort well saved. Jarvis for the Glens talked himself into the refs book just before the break. And he was quickly followed by Lang captain Andy Noble, again dissent the reason.

H-T 1-1


Cambuslang made a change at the break and they brought on Porter for Wade. Cambuslang had another excellent chance to regain the lead but Porter fired wide after a mix up in the Glens defence. On 54 minutes Glencairn should have been down to 10 men when Macaninch took a wild kick at Lang Tyzcinski but the ref thought this only merited a yellow card. On the hour mark Cambuslang introduced Chris Faulds to the action in place of Gilroy.



The final 15 minutes were all action. Glencairn freshened things up front, withdrawing the Gallagher and Donaldson and putting on the fresh legs of McDowell and Kondol. McDowell showed terrific skill to beat two men on the bye-line, and his cut back fell nicely for Dickson, who took a touch and picked his spot in the corner of the net to put Glens 2-1 ahead, despite a brave attempt at a save by the Lang keeper McGovern


Cambuslang threw everything forward in the closing stages and left themselves wide open at the back to the counter-attack. Two incredible goal-mouth scrambles saw Glens survive thanks to some terrible misses and the crossbar, and when the Lang keeper decided to come up for a corner in injury time, he was almost embarrassed as Glens cleared and McDowell had an open goal to shoot into from the halfway line. Fortunately for the Lang the shot wasn't strong enough, although it was on target, and Gray got back to clear for a corner.


Coupled with Saturday's results (Glens 1 Blantyre 2 and East Kilbride 2 Vale of Clyde 0) it now means the winner of the match (played as Reformer went to print)  between Cambuslang and East Kilbride will progress to the quarter final stages. Cambuslang have home advantage and will be hoping to come out on top.



McGovern, O'Neil, Burns, Noble, Gray, Coulter, Wade (Porter 46), McLuskey, Menelews, Gilroy (Faulds 60), Tyczinski (Simpson 88)

(Subs not used) - Love & Trialist