St Anthony’s 0-0 Cambuslang Rangers

Central Region 1st Division

Saturday 10th September 2011

At McKenna Park

St Anthony’s welcomed Cambuslang Rangers to McKenna Park at the weekend, and as nil nils go, this was one was one to forget...

Neither team seemed to get going although Cambuslang arguably had the better of the 2nd half with the Ant’s number 1 being the busier of the two keepers and indeed pulled off some fine saves in that second period. But in stoppage time an error from Lang Trialist almost presented St Anthony's will 3 points...


The visitors went into the game minus Top Scorer Aiden Malone who was unavailable as was Andy McFarlane. Thomas Hoey had to make do with a place on the bench.


There was a familiar face returning to the ants, Graham Jaap had left the Ants in the summer to join the Somervell Park side.


St Anthony’s had a surprise of their own in their starting 11, none other than veteran Stevie Mallon who had been signed from Auchinleck Talbot during the week.


As always, the playing surface at McKenna Park was in superb condition despite the amount of rain that had fallen over the last few days



The two sides have had contrasting starts to the season, St Anthony’s were still looking for their first point having lost their opening 4 games and Cambuslang had only lost the 1 match in the same period.


The home side had a half chance after only 4 minutes when Dickson tested Montgomery with an effort from the edge of the box. 10 minutes later and Cambuslang had their first sight of the Ants goal but Lang’s trialist striker couldn’t get enough on his flick and Mathers saved easily.


Cambuslang were awarded a free kick in a good position after a needless trip by McCuish, Kilmartin stepped up to take the kick but the effort flew harmlessly over, never troubling the keeper.


On the half hour mark Cambuslang had a great chance to open the scoring. Kilmartin again involved. He burst into the box and he got his shot away but a fine last gasp block from Reynolds prevented a certain goal for the visitors.

Jaap Returned To His Old Stomping Ground



The Ants hit back at the other end when McCuish fired in a shot from 20 yards, but the ball just went past the far post, it was close enough to have Montgomery in the Lang goal scrambling across his line.


Cambuslang were doing the pressing by this point as St Anthony’s were being forced deeper and deeper and they almost got the opener when McQuilken his the cross bar, his cross come shot fooled everyone but bounced off the top of the bar and out for a goal kick. The first booking of the game went to Cambuslang’s Ross Barr, he bumped into Ants Miller and the ref flashed the yellow card, a booking of the softest variety I'm sure everyone will agree.


Just before the break, St Ants caught Lang napping at the back and Madden was inches away from netting on his debut. Millers shot across the face of gaol came to Madden but the bal just slipped past the post.


The half ended when Dickson was cautioned for a cynical foul on Mackie


Ferguson Unable To Make any Impact On Proceedings




A hungrier Cambuslang emerged for the 2nd half and took control of the game although the home side did have their moments.



A half chance presented itself to Lang defender Phil McCabe but he fired harmlessly over from the edge of the box. St Ants, against the current run of play, almost opened the scoring and it was Mallan again the unlucky one.


The ball was fired across the face of gaol and he was lurking at the back post but he was unable to get enough on the ball to divert it into the net and the shot slipped past the post, much to the Lang supporters relief.


On the hour mark Cambuslang Rangers made their first changes of the game, it was a bold move to take off both McQuilken and Kilmartin and replace them with trialist 1 and trialist 2.


Timoney, Kept Busy By Veteran Mallan

The change had an immediate impact as Lang will feel they should have opened the scoring. The ball came to Trialist 1 in acres of space 8 yards out but his effort was well saved by Mathers, a good chance missed by the visitors.


The Ants had a scare when Borris appeared to wind himself after an awkward fall, but he was fit to resume action after some treatment, but his involvement didn’t last as the home side made a double change minutes later. Mallan and Borris were both replaced by Deenie and Cumming on 72 minutes.


Cambuslang picked up another booking when Ferguson was cautioned for another, nothing, tackle. Cambuslang had another great chance to open the scoring when trialist 2 found himself with just the keeper to beat, but Mathers produced  affine reaction save to push the ball over the bar from point blank range.


There were a few chances in the final moments of the game.


Cambuslang pushed on McLeod for the hard working Mackie in an attempt to break the deadlock and the substitute almost made the perfect entrance but his shot was cleared by Reynolds just as Stevenson was about to pounce on the loose ball.

Trialist Striker Impressed In Patches


As the game moved into stoppage time, St Ants were handed a golden opportunity to nick all 3 points. A mistake by the trialist 2 allowed St Ants to break up the park, it was 3 against 2 in their favour but they contrived to miss the chance and Lang defenders got back to block any danger. The home side will be disappointed they never took advantage of the howler.


That was the last bit of action and the game ended in a stalemate. Never an entertaining game but the Ants will be happy with their first point of the season, Lang will be disappointed not to convert their 2nd half possession into goals and on reflection a point a piece was probably a fare reflection on a poor game.

Striker Skips Past Monty

Monty Tries To Get Back

Holds Up Play

Ants Blow It As defence Help Out




F-T 0-0



Lang Line Up



For More Shots From The Game





























Mackie (McLeod 80)



Kilmartin (Trialist 60)

McQuilken (Trialist 60)


Unused Subs





Click Here