Cambuslang Rangers 1-5 Kilsyth Rangers

Stagecoach Superleague 1st Division

Saturday 11th September

at Somervell Park



It was the battle of the 2 Rangers at Somervell last weekend as both sides looked to notch up their first win in the league this season. Cambuslang were sitting 2 points better off then their opponents prior to the match but that soon changed after a torrid 90 minutes. The visitors ran in 5 goals to Cambuslang's 1 and deliver The Langs heaviest defeat at home for a wee while.


There can be no excuses for this sort of display even although Lang manager Andy Cunningham is still struggling to field his strongest team.


Still missing were Brown, Rowan, Tyczynski, Doak and Coulter. Gary McGregor made a return to the bench to boost the numbers slightly. New signing Fisher made his second start in the defence and he certainly looks the part.


The writing was on the wall as early as the first minute when Kilsyth should have opened the scoring. McQuilcan forced Lowe into parrying the ball but it fell kindly for the on russhing Vaugh, but he somehow shot wide from 3 yards out, an early warning for the home side that was certainly not heeded. The opening goal duly arrived on 17 minutes and it was no surprise it went to the visitors. a fine strike from 20 yards out flew past the Lang keeper. The lead was doubled 2 minutes later. A long hopeful ball to the back post was not cut out by the Lang defence leaving Fellowes all the time to pick his spot and he knocked past Lowe. Cambuslang's first chance of the game fell to skipper Billy Holmes but his header went narrowly over the bar. This was followed with a McCarroll effort that was superbly tipped round the post. Cambuslang's persistence paid dividends on 34 minutes when they pulled a goal back and themselves back into the game. Burns flighted over a corner kick that McCarroll met with a near post run nodding past the exposed keeper. That was to be as good as it got for the home side as they began to dominate and Cambuslang were showing very little inventiveness. The visitors had a great chance to add a third a minute after Lang scored but the chance was wasted by Fellowes who trod on the ball allowing the Lang defence time to get back and clear the danger.


H-T 1-2


The second half turned into a bit of a nightmare for the home side as Kilsyth ran in 3 goals. The half started with Lang picking up the first yellow of the afternoon when Graham was cautioned for a poorly timed challenge. Within 3 minutes of the restart Cambuslang fell further behind. A mix up in the box resulted in Cambuslang failing to deal with the danger and the ball ended up in the back of the net off Langs McGrath. McCrae soon followed Graham into the Ref's notebook. On 55 minutes Cambuslang made a double change, Holmes and McGrath made way for Carr and McGregor. The latter being booked within 30 seconds of entering the play. On 58 minutes Kilsyth notched their 4th of the afternoon. Campbell flicked the bal on to Vaugh who in turn knocked past Lowe. The visitors picked up a silly yellow when Fellowes handled the ball right in front of the referee. Cambuslang miserable afternoon was complete when Kilsyth grabbed the 5th. Fellowes shot was again parried by the Lang keeper and again into the path of a Kilsyth player, this time Campbell on hand to pounce on the goal keepers error. With 10 minutes remaining Cambuslang replaced Graham with Love. The home side frustration was beginning to show and Galloway and Carr were both booked. Cambuslang miserable afternoon believe it or not could have been worse but some poor finishing kept the score to 5. Indeed in the final minute it should have been 6 but substitute Earlie took pity on his ex team mates and put his effort wide of the target with only the keeper to beat.




Lowe, Fisher, Graham (Love 80), Feenie, McGrath (McGregor 55), Paterson, Galloway, McCrae, Holmes (Carr 55), McCarroll & Burns.

Not Used Hughes & Petrik