Arthurlie 6-1 Cambuslang Rangers

Abercorn Builders Premier League

Saturday 12th January 2002

at Dunterlie Park


Cambuslang kicked off the New Year with their fist game in over 5 weeks. It was not the sort of performance the fans had been hoping for as they were thrashed 6-1 by the reigning Champions Arthurlie. Cambuslang went into the New Year full of confidence after finishing the year in 3rd spot a lot higher than many had predicted at the start of the season. It was the worst performance from a Cambuslang side in a long time.


Cambuslang made the best possible start when they opened the scoring after through defender, come midfielder for the day, Stewart Taylor. He broke through the Arthurlie rear guard before despatching the inch perfect lob over the advancing keeper. The lead however was short lived as the home side equalised five minutes later when Lynn's free kick found it's way around the defensive wall and into the bottom corner. Midway through the half and the visitors fell behind. This time another free kick by Lynn found the back of the net although it did take a wicked deflection off the wall leaving Wardlaw stranded. At the end of the half McGregor picked up a booking as did Arthurlie's Barrett for persistent fouling.

H-T 2-1

The second half saw the roof cave in on Cambuslang with some poor defending costing them dearly. Cambuslang replaced the injured Coulter with Gary Robertson for his fist appearance of the season. Then scorer Taylor was replaced by Maxwell on the hour mark and the game was all but over when the home side grabbed a killer 3rd. Martin surged forward forcing Wardlaw into a fine stop but the ball went straight to the feet of Barrett who slotted into the empty net. Only a minute later and it was 4. A strike from distance by Lynn somehow beat Wardlaw at his near post for the Lie players hat trick. With 10 minutes remaining Arthurlie grabbed a 5th through that man Lynn again. The referee must have been feeling sorry for the Lang when he booked Arthurlie’s Rhodden for diving when it looked a clear-cut penalty kick. The rout was complete in the final minute when Rhodden made it 6 to round off a thoroughly disastrous afternoon for the Lang. Manager Andy Cunningham will be hoping this was rustiness and not a sign of what lies ahead for the remainder of the season.


Wardlaw, Doak, McGregor, Kavanagh, Coulter (Robertson 50), Richardson, Devanney, Balmain, Daisley, Taylor ( Maxwell 50), Gauley

Subs not used Holmes, McDougall, Mitchell