Cambuslang Rangers 3-2 Shotts B.A.

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 12th March

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers and Shotts swapped places in the Super Fist Division after a narrow win seen Cambuslang move into 3rd spot, albeit having played a few more games then some other teams. This narrow 3-2 victory scoreline fails to tell the real story as Cambuslang outplayed the visitors for lengthy spells. Shotts going down eventually to 9 men with the first being sent off after only 36 minutes.


This was a fine win for Cambuslang and although sitting in third spot this will go a little way to ease any fears they might still have of getting involved in any relegation dog fight come the season end run in.


It was all change yet again for Cambuslang as Feenie, Carmichael, Tyczinski and Brown all ruled out for various reason added to long term absentees of Holmes and Doak meant yet again assistant Scott Archer was named on the substitute bench.


Straight from kick off and Cambuslang let their intentions be known as they laid siege to the Shotts goal. This was the visitors 1st game in over three weeks and it was showing fairly early that this might just be a vital home win on the cards.


With only 5 minutes gone Cambuslang created their first opening of the game. Burns saw his drive well blocked and Galloway followed up but his shot was blocked and cleared too. Lang's McCarroll then set up Paterson a minute later but the Lang man had his attempt blocked by some desperate defending. The breakthrough wasn't far away and on 7 minutes McCarroll played in a delightful lob allowing Paterson to run onto the pass beating the feeble appeals for offside and he fired into the net, despite the keeper getting a good hand on the ball, but the power saw it home.


The visitors were creating numerous chances to increase their tally but were a little guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net. On 20 minutes McCarroll and McCrae were guilty of such act when neither seemed like they wanted to take responsibility and passed to each other inside the 18 yard box but the danger was eventually cleared. A little rammy developed when Lang defender Graham caught Shotts keeper with a late challenge resulting in the Lang man receiving a yellow card. Shotts by this stage were out of sorts and the Lang had some even better chances to extend their lead but desperate defending managed to keep them at bay. The visitors shot themselves in the foot when Keedie was booked for giving away a free kick, despite numerous warnings from the ref to shut up the Shotts man kept on at the ref and he promptly produced a 2nd yellow followed by a red, and an early bath for the defender.


As happens so often Cambuslang seemed to be knocked off their stride and for the first time in the game found themselves under a bit of pressure from the visitors.


Cambuslang looked to have killed off any thoughts of a Shotts gaining the upperhand when they doubled their lead on the stroke of half time. Jamie McCarroll fizzed in a powerful free kick and Alan McCrae stuck out his foot to divert the ball into the net, quick thinking by the Lang's top scorer.


H-T 2-0


At the start of the 2nd half Lang went close through McCrae and he saw his effort well saved at the near post. Shotts looked a different side in the second half and were now beginning to cause the Lang back line some problems, something that just didn't happen in the first. 9 minutes after the re start and Shotts pulled a goal back when McMurray headed home a Boyack free kick in the 56th minute. A minute later and Galloway for the Lang was booked.


Shotts went for broke minutes later when they threw on a couple of big strikers in Kirkwood and O'Keane and were now intent on getting the ball from back to front and as quickly as possible. The short passing game Cambuslang were playing in the first half was nowhere to be seen as the began to struggle with the increased presence in the box. The visitors were celebrating an equaliser but to the relief of the Lang player sand fans the assistant on the far side had his flag up for a push by McMurray and his header was ruled out.


Shotts were further reduced when Kirkwood who had only been on a matter on minutes was red carded. The linesman on the near side had spotted the Shotts man head butt Langs Fisher so he had to go. Cambuslang had chances to kill off the opposition but some poor finishing was their downfall. Jamie Coulter had an excellent chance but his effort was too straight and the keeper saved. 2 minutes later and McCarroll blasted wide with the gaol at his mercy. With 5 minutes remaining Lang were awarded a penalty kick after Graham went down in the box. Up stepped Alan McCrae giving the keeper no chance and to kill off any hopes of a Shotts comeback, or so we all thought.


In the final minute Shotts were awarded a soft penalty when McMurray fell to the ground under the challenge of Fisher who pleaded his innocence but to no avail. Up stepped McMurray to take the kick himself but it was superbly saved by Rowan who had very little to do in the game but produced the goods when it mattered. Credit to the visitors though who never gave up and in stoppage time managed to grab a 2nd and set up the nervy finish. O'Keane got on the end of Boyack's  cross and nodded over Rowan and into the net from out on the right.  The home side did mange to see this one out and gain a valuable 3 points and third spot in the table.



Rowan, Ferguson, McGowan, Fisher, Coulter, Paterson, Galloway, Burns, McCrae, McCarroll and Graham.

Subs Not Used

Lowe (gk), McGrath, Brown, Trialist and Archer