Kilsyth Rangers 0-1 Cambuslang Rangers

Central League Cup 2nd round

Saturday 13th April 2003

At Duncansfield Park



Cambuslang Rangers got back into action after a 2 week lay off allowing the other sides in the league a chance to catch up on some games they had in hand. With some of the sides picking up much needed points Cambuslang find themselves being dragged into the relegation zone. With only 3 games remaining it is out of Cambuslang's hands as to where there fait lies.


But Cambuslang could put these problems to one side for the moment as they travelled to Kilsyth to play the other Rangers in the Central League Cup 2nd round. The match had added importance as the Kilsyth side are now managed by two ex-Cambuslang men in John Mitchell and John Richardson who both left Cambuslang in the summer. Kilsyth are leading the first division and looking to step up into the Super League at the end of the season so Cambuslang Rangers knew how difficult a game this was going to be.


In what turned out to be a pretty drab encounter where neither team got any passing fluency as the ball was pinged form one end of the park to the other especially by the home side who were quite happy to launch the ball up field at every opportunity.


Cambuslang were missing Gary McGregor, Kenny Balmain and Alan Foster all through injuries.


As the game sparked into life Cambuslang keeper Stevie McGovern required treatment after being caught late by one of the Kilsyth front men but the referee took no action. Cambuslang got a glimpse of goal on the 10 minute mark, defender Galloway burst forward and found himself space inside the box but the Lang man lacked confidence to have a shot and the chance was gone. Lang's Paterson had an effort at goal but he fired it wide of the target. The home side almost opened the scoring through ex-Lang striker Jamie Early, he got on the end of a good cross by Campbell but McGovern saved well in the Lang goal. That was quickly followed up by another wasted chance this time when Campbell had a free header in the box but he headed straight at McGovern. Cambuslang opened the scoring on 38 minutes. Paterson took a corner that was headed on by Carmichael at the near post and his flick came to the unmarked Holmes who made no mistake and volleyed past the keeper. The visitors almost levelled at the end of the half. Lang keeper McGovern and defender Doak clashed going for the same ball resulting in Doak heading over his advancing keeper but luckily for both the header went wide of the goal.

H-T 0-1


The second half started with a bit of controversy when Mitchell seemed to catch Feenie in the face with a flying arm, the referee surprised everyone when he only yellow carded the Kilsyth player/ manager. Lang's Doak was also cautioned after is reaction to the incident. Both players a bit lucky to still be on the park. Cambuslang continued to do most of the pressing but were not troubling the Kilsyth goal. Galloway fired wide from a good position. Kilsyth again went close to levelling when a good cross into the box was just missed by Earlie where the slightest of touches would have done. Lang skipper Billy Holmes turned well just outside the box and delivered a great cross to the head of Carmichael but he couldn't keep the header down. A minute later the same player fired well over form another good position. Cambuslang replaced Stoddart who had taken a knock with Webster. The home side's best effort came on 80 minutes when Mitchell saw his effort cleared off the line by Paterson. Cambuslang ran down the clock and brought on Taylor for Galloway in stoppage time. Cambuslang progress into the Quarter Final , draw still to be made.


Lang Line up

McGovern, Ferguson, Galloway (Taylor 90), Kavanagh, Doak, Feeney, Paterson, Stoddart (Webster 76), Holmes, Carmichael & Dignam

Subs Not Used

Lyons, McCrae & Wardlaw