Cambuslang Rangers 2-3 St Anthony's

O.V.D. Scottish Cup 2nd Round Replay

Saturday 13th November

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers were sent crashing out of the O.V.D. Scottish Cup. St Anthony's the first division strugglers progressed at the Somervell Park sides expense after another enthralling match, a 3-2 score line sees them into the third round draw.


Cambuslang were left to curse their missed chances over the two games but in the end the harder working side went through.


Cambuslang Rangers manager Andy Cunningham had his work cut out as 3 first team regulars, Coulter, Paterson and McCrae,all declared themselves unavailable due to untimely holiday commitments, coupled with his injured players this left the Lang having to name Assistant Manager Scott Archer as a sub. Gary McGregor and Derek Carmichael were both named as subs despite not having played for some time. Also missing was Craig Ferguson due to illness. On the plus side Cambuslang welcomed back Martin Feenie who missed the first game. The visitors welcomed back Joe Mullheron after he recovered from a back injury that ruled him out of the first game. Billy Holmes returned after the birth of his 2nd daughter and Steven Tyczynski made a rare appearance after recovering from injury.



Cambuslang started the game well but it was another second half shambles that cost them this tie. As early as the 3rd minute and they could have been in front. Tyczynski's cross was met by Brown but his effort was well saved. Cambuslang then had a spell where they could have scored on a few occasions but the Ant's keeper was saving everything. A break up field by Galloway saw him slip the ball to McCarroll, his 20 yard effort was superbly tipped round the post. From the resulting corner Tyczynski saw his effort tipped over the bar with another fine save from the Ant's number 1. The keeper wasn't finished their and he produced another fine stop this time from Burns drive. The Ants only chance of the half fell to Mulherron but his header was easily saved by Rowan. The home sides dominance finally paid dividends on the half hour mark. McCarroll played a good pass to Burns who made space for himself before firing past the keeper. The referee's patience finally ran out as he eventually booked an ants player for a foul on Galloway.

H-T 1-0


As has been typical of Cambuslang this season, 2nd half's are not something the Somervell faithful look forward too. Saturday was no different as the Lang once again failed to produce the goods. The Ants drew level a minute into the half. A spectacular dive saw the Ants awarded a free kick. The high ball into the box was not dealt with and Dickson was on hand to bundle the ball over the line. Things were to go from bad to worse for the home side as they fell behind only minutes later. Some more suicidal defending allowed Ford to poke the ball home after numerous attempts to clear the ball failed. Despite the attempts by Rowan in goal the ball finally made it into the net. Cambuslang did get back level after some fine play by Jamie McCarroll. His quick foot work on the edge of the box gave him space to fore past the keeper and give the home side some hope. It wasn't to last though as they allowed St ants to re take the lead only 2 minutes later. Some more poor defending saw Graham beaten to the ball this allowed Dickson in on Rowan. The Ants man came under pressure from Feenie but he was unable to stop the ball going in as the Ants scored what turned out to be the winner. Cambuslang made 2 changes in an attempt to rescue this cup tie. Graham made was for McGregor and Tyczynski was replaced with Young. The visitors were using all the time wasting tactics that the ref spotted and this resulted in 4 minutes stoppage time, but it still wasn't enough for Cambuslang as the Ant's held on for a memorable victory.


Rowan, Fisher, Graham (McGregor 75), Feenie, McGrath, Burns, McCarroll, Tyczynski (Young 77), Holmes, Brown and Galloway.

Subs Not Used

Lowe (gk) Carmichael and Archer