Blantyre Vics 0-2 Cambuslang Rangers   

Beatons Coaches

Sectional League Cup

at Castle Park

Wednesday 14th August 2002


Cambuslang Rangers went into Wednesdays with already two defeats in their first two games in this Sectional League Cup, the trophy they won in 2000. A third defeat would all but rule out any chance of making the quarterfinals. Manager Andy Cunningham made a few changes to the side that lost to East Kilbride. Back came Jim Kavanagh who has missed the last two games due to Holiday. Keeper Wardlaw was rested giving McGovern an opportunity to show what he can do. Also left out were Watson and Robertson. Front man Jamie Earlie was given another opportunity to shine but once again the striker failed to impress. Paterson in the Midfield deserves a special mention for a superb game controlling the midfield



Cambuslang started the game with the bit between their teeth and should have taken the lead as early as the 3rd minute but a poor header from McFarlane went wide from close range. Blantyre hit back but their striker volleyed wide from the edge of the box. New keeper McGovern was called into action on the 20 minute mark and he produced a string of top saves to prevent Blantyre taking the lead, the first was a point blank effort that he parried out then blocked the follow up before Blanytre shot over from 5 yards when they really should have scored. Lang skipper Billy Holmes went close with a header from McCrae but it went inches wide of the post. The first booking of the game went to the visitors when Paterson picked up a yellow card for speaking out of turn. McCrae quickly followed him for a silly challenge on the Vics full back, this booking was to prove costly for the Lang man. Cambuslang got the break there play deserved when Webster was tripped in the box and the ref had no hesitation in awarding the spot kick. This was converted by McCrae to give the Lang a half-time lead.

H-T 0-1


Cambuslangs hero in the first half, McCrae, turned villain when he went down under little or no contact from the Vics defender, the referee saw this as a dive and immediately booked the Lang player. As this was his second yellow it was swiftly followed by the red card and McCrae was off for an early bath. Cambuslang then had to dig in and roll up their sleeves for the onslaught on their goal that was about to follow. Vics war lucky to keep 11 men on the park when one of their player clearly elbowed Lang player Kavanagh but he escaped with just a booking. Lang full back Galloway almost made it two but a fine stop by Vics keeper. On the hour mark Lang replaced the Earlie with Smith. Then Webster picked up a booking for a clumsy challenge on the Vics keeper. Cambuslang could have sealed the points when McGregor of all people found himself being played in by Smith but the big defender fired well wide of goal. Blantyre were laying siege at the Lang goal but couldn't find away through the Lang back line that looked a lot more solid with Kavanagh back. With 15 minutes left Cambuslang replaced Holmes with Daisley. Robertson picked up a stupid booking for kicking the ball away in frustration. Cambuslang grabbed the killer second in the final minute after a mix up in the Vics defence allowed Daisley in to calmly knock pas the keeper.


Lang Line up

McGovern, Ferguson, McGregor, Kavanagh, Webster, Paterson, Earlie (Smith 60), Galloway (Robertson 70), Holmes (Daisley75), McCrae & McFarlane

Subs not used Watson & Wardlaw