Shettleston Town 2-1 Cambuslang Rangers

West of Scotland Cup 1st Round

Saturday 14th September 2002

at Shettleston Park


Cambuslang took a break for League duty and travelled the short distance for this West of Scotland Cup tie against Shettleston. Cambuslang were looking to build on the performance that earned them a point against Bellshill in their previous game but injury's prevented manager Andy Cunningham fielding the same line up. Gary McGregor, who has been in fine form this season, was ruled out with a back problem and Stewart Taylor took his place. Also missing from the line up was Ian Stoddart due to work commitments, he was replaced by McCrae.


The opening stages of the game were very lively with the two sides creating good goal scoring chances but neither were able to take them. Shettleston were presented with an early chance to open the scoring after McFarlane gave possession away but the miss control by Jack allowed the Lang defence time to clear the danger. The visitors almost opened the scoring a minute later when Dignam fired the ball across the face of goal and Lang's McFarlane was only inches away from diverting into the net but his effort found the side netting. Cambuslang defence had to be on their toes once again when Dickson broke through and with only the keeper to beat a superb saving tackle came in from Taylor preventing what looked a certain goal. Town's Jack was proving to be the engine room of the home side and almost everything came through him. He fired in a shot from 20 yards that wasn't far off target, although Wardlaw looked to have it covered. The Lang keeper was called into action for the first time on the half hour mark when he saved Dickson's effort. Cambuslang were forced into an early change when McFarlane found himself being carried off on a stretcher after what looked like a stamp from the Town defender but the challenge went unpunished to the amazement of the travelling Lang support. Lang brought on Kenny Balmain to replace him, which meant a re-shuffling of the Lang back line. The sucker punch was delivered in first half stoppage time when the home side took the lead. A drive from the edge of the box found it's way through and nestled in the bottom corner.

H-T 1-0


The second half started with the home side picking up the first booking of the game when Dickson hauled down Taylor 25 yards from goal. Then Shettleston were reduced to 10 men in a 3 minute spell that saw their best player Jack booked for kicking the ball away then minutes later he received a second yellow four kicking out at a Lang player resulting in an early bath for Towns best player. Cambuslang were left remonstrating with the man in the middle after another hefty challenge went unpunished. This time Paterson found himself on the end of a heavy tackle from Dickson. On the hour mark Cambuslang replaced McCrae with Daisley. Shettleston should have tied the game up on 62 minutes when the substitute found himself in acres of space and just the keeper to beat but he totally miskicked in front of goal and it flew wide. Cambuslang found themselves level after another wonder strike from Dignam. He found space and despite being forced wide of the goal he still found space to get the shot away that found the far corner of the net. The same player almost gave the Lang an unlikely lead but a good save for the keeper this time kept his effort out.  Cambuslang brought on Billy Holmes for scorer Dignam in an attempt to win the game. Cambuslang almost found themselves behind for a second time, but a fine save by Wardlaw kept the sides level. Just as the game was heading for penalty kicks the home side grabbed the winner. With only second remaining the ball came to a Town man after about 3 ricochets and deflections it landed at his feet and he slotted past the helpless Lang keeper Wardlaw for an undeserved winner.



Wardlaw, Kavanagh, Taylor, Foster, McCrae ( Daisley 60), Paterson, Fay, Webster, Carmichael, Dignam (Holmes 68), McFarlane (Balmain 42)

Subs not used

Smith & Galloway