Cambuslang Rangers 2-3 Larkhall Thistle

Central Region 1st Division

Saturday 14th November

at Somervell Park

Cambuslang Rangers went down by 3 goals to 2 at the weekend when Larkhall Thistle were the visitors to Somervell. Cambuslang did well just to get a team on the park as the injuries and absentees take their toll on the Lang squad. Missing on Saturday were Templeton, Hoey, Doak, Rea, Murphy, Ross, Queen, Ogilvie, Kilmartin and Hobbs either injured, working or something else. Its a big ask for ANY team to go into a game missing that talent but Lang could and arguably should have taken at the very least a point from this game.


It was amazing that the game went ahead in the first place due to the recent heavy rain so special mention to the ground staff for their hard work getting the pitch playable, especially Gordon Hendry and Jimmy Love.



Getting To Grips With The Opposition

Cambuslang will be kicking themselves for letting the points slip away in a game that swung from end to end. There were chances galore, for both teams but the visitors were the ones who took them when it mattered.


It was a disastourous start for Cambuslang. Bishop gave away a silly free kick right on the edge of the box in the opening minute. Donachy stepped up and sent the ball flying past Connolly who could do nothing about it as the ball found the top corner. A couple of minutes later and it should have been 2. Lang defence posted missing as Larkhall broke up field, the ball was played into the back post area and Donachy had all the time in the world but he put his header over the bar, a poor miss. Cambuslang had a chance on 6 minutes when Ferguson got his shot away but it was blocked on the gaol line and then cleared. Inglis for Cambuslang was the first into the ref’s notebook after a trip on Clark.


Larkhall had another chance to increase their lead but this time a fine save from Connolly in the Lang goal, he tipped Shields header over the bar. The home side had a couple of chances themselves, first it was Thomson with a fine run and shot but the Larkhall keeper saved well and then Matthews went close with his effort but again the keeper pulled off a fine stop. Budinakas in the Larkie goal was having one of those games.


Bish, Gave Away Free Kick For 1st Goal


A goalmouth stramash ensued on 27 minutes, but Cambuslang were unable to find a way through. The keeper pulling off a superb save from Smiths effort and then the follow up deflected inches over the bar such was Cambuslang's luck. Ferguson then played in Matthews who then saw his shot well saved yet a gain. The visitors were forced into a change on 36 minutes when Carson had to leave the action injured, his place taken by Doyle.


Cambuslang got back level on 39 minutes. Smith was hauled down just outside the box, although Cambuslang claimed it was in but a free kick was awarded. B Matthews stepped up a fired past the helpless Budinakas as it nestled in the top corner. Just before the break and Cambuslang had a lucky escape as Larkhall rattled the post through Shields. The miss of the game came on 44 minutes. Ferguson for the Lang crossed into the box and found Thomson, with only the keeper to beat and the goal gapping, he somehow managed to head wide from 3 yards out, a poor miss from Thomson that could have changed the game.


Fergie Shot Blocked By Some Last Gasp Defending

H-T 1-1

The second half followed a similar pattern as the first with both teams making plenty chances and plenty mistakes too. Lang had another couple of chances to score but another goalmouth scramble seen Dunn and Thomson efforts blocked by every part of the anatomy before being cleared.


Then at the other end Bishop made a superb goal line clearance with Connolly out of position. On the hour mark an uncharacteristic mistake from Connolly in Lang's goal allowed Larkhall to regain the lead.


Larkhall with a hopeful ball into the box which Connolly came for but got nothing on it and Wilson out-jumped Connolly and the ball ended up in the back of the net. 5 minutes later and Larkhall almost grabbed another but Connolly saved well with his feet.

More Desperate Defending From Larkhall


Cambuslang got back on level terms for a 2nd time. Smith flicked the ball to Thomson and he rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the net.


Lang in an effort to win the game threw on Trialist for Matthews and the trialist had a chance seconds after coming on but his shot was blocked and cleared. With 10 minutes to go Alan McCrae had a superb header well saved by the Larkhall Keeper.


With 5 minutes remaining Larkhall grabbed the winner and it was Ex Lang player Menelaws who did the damage. He got in behind Matthews and slotted past Connolly to grab the 3 points and leave Lang scratching their heads as to how this one got away.


Larkie keeper was superb





F-T 2-3



Lang Line Up



For More Shots From The Game








































Click Here