Forth Wanderers 2-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Central Region 2nd Division

Saturday 15th March 2008

At Kingshill Park


The long awaited top of the table clash finally went ahead at the weekend when Cambuslang Rangers travelled to Forth for this important encounter. The visitors came away with a point but it was more like a defeat after Forth's last gasp leveller in stoppage time secured the leaders an unlikely point. Kevin Ogilvey was on target twice for Cambuslang but it wasn't enough to leap to the top of the table. In fact Cambuslang slipped to third after Vale of Leven beat Carluke.


Its understandable that the Somervell park side were disappointed in losing such a late equaliser after dominating the match for long spells. A rare mistake by Bishop cost his side dear.


The stop start to the year hasn't helped Cambuslang's push for promotion. The heavy pitch at Forth was in a pretty bad way and it was a surprise that the game went ahead in the first place. A special mention for the man in the middle, he got more decisions wrong, for the two sides, that he got correct and maybe should look to do something else on a Saturday afternoon.



Barry Devine Closes Down The Space

Kavanagh and Bishop Snuff Out This Attack


Cambuslang handed new keeper Billy Spence his debut and although two goals were scored the keepers handling was superb. The defence was shuffled and Ferguson slotted into the back 4 and Hewitt moved into midfield. Bonner gained a starting slot after recovering from hamstring problems. Up front Ogilvey and Kennedy were the strikers after Cameron was ruled out through injury.


The game itself wasn't much of a spectacle due mainly to the playing surface. As early as the 1st minute and the home side should have been in front. But Lang debutant keeper pulled off a fine block to deny Forth. Cambuslang hit back through the impressive Kennedy who seen his effort tipped round the post. On 7 minutes it looked like the home side were going to open the scoring but a superb goal line clearance from Garry Lynch kept the scores level.


Cambuslang had most of the possession by this time and the work rate from the guys was excellent but still no goals to show for it. Bishop in the middle of the park was excellent and the tireless running of Ogilvey and Kennedy kept the Forth defenders on their toes all afternoon.


On the half hour mark another poor miss from the home side. This time they fired over from inside the box when it looked easier to score. On 33 minutes Cambuslang made the break through. Kennedy skipped past a couple of tackles before getting his shot away, but the keeper could only parry the ball into the path of Ogilvey and he headed home. Cambuslang celebrations were short lived as Forth levelled from the kick off. Lang failed to deal with the set piece and Forth headed home, unmarked at the back post.


Cambuslang kept up the good work rate and were rewarded a minute before the break. Kennedy put in a deep cross the Devine did well to knock back across goal and Ogilvey was on hand to tap home and put Lang in front for a 2nd time in the game. 


H-T 1-2


Forth should have levelled 5 minutes after the restart but another poor effort was saved. Lang picked up the first booking of the afternoon; Bonner was cautioned for a late challenge. Cambuslang defence had held the line well but Forth beat the offside trap and keeper Spence had to pull of a fine stop to keep Lang in front. The ref seemed to lose the plot a little and started booking anyone who spoke to him.


Poor Tackles were allowed but no speaking. Kennedy the next Lang player cautioned along with Forth's striker. Lang made a change on 65 minutes Hughes coming on for the tiring Barton. A few minutes later and Lang made their second change. Barry Devine made way for Docherty in a like for like swap.


Barton Shifted To Midfield

2 Goal Hero Ogilvey, Kennedy Supplied The Cross


An enforced 3rd sub for Lang came when Bonner appeared to pull the troublesome hamstring and was replaced as a precaution by trialist. Cambuslang were playing the ball about well by this time and were running down the clock. The ref was still giving dodgy decision, for both sides. 30 seconds into stoppage time and Cambuslang were hit with the sucker punch.


A rare mistake by Bishop, who gave away possession and this allowed Forth to break up the park. The cross wasn't cut out and the Forth striker was on hand to slip the ball past Spence.

Up until that point the home side never threatened so is was a bit of a blow to concede so late in the game.


So itís still all to play for in the 2nd division and this race looks like going to the final games of the season, any slips and you could find yourself out the promotion race.



F-T 2-2




Lang Line Up

For More Shots From The Game
























Barton (Hughes 63)

Bonner (Trialist 73)




Devine (Docherty 67)








Click Here