Maryhill 4-1 Cambuslang Rangers

West of Scotland Cup 1st Round

Saturday 15th September

at Lochburn Park

Cambuslang found themselves on the end of a hiding last weekend when they went down 4-1 at the hands of Maryhill in the 1st round of the West of Scotland Cup. It was a disappointing result for the local side who in all honesty didn't play all that bad. Some poor decisions by both Referee and his assistants cost the Lang dear and also cost them 2 players who were red carded, Mattie Coulter walked and he was then followed by Gauley. Cambuslang more than matched their opponents when it was 11 v 11 but when they lost players gaps were appearing all over the place and it could have been worse.

Cambuslang manager Andy Cunningham choose to bring back experienced midfielder Kenny Balmain into the starting line up at the expense of Alan Paterson.

Maryhill served notice immediately when Fisher fired in a long range effort which Wardlaw did well to save. Cambuslang went close through Billy Holmes, his glancing header went inches wide of the post with the Hill keeper rooted to the spot. McAllister then rattled the post with another long range effort which was then cleared. The home side took the lead when Hamill curled the ball round the keeper and into the far corner of the net. Cambuslang then had 2 good chances in the space of a minute, the first came when a poor header back by Hill's McDonald had his keeper scrambling back to tip over the bar and then Mitchell was thwarted when the keeper saved at his feet. Cambuslang's Gauley picked up his first yellow card for complaining about the performance of the lines man who was flagging at every opportunity. Maryhill should have added a second when McAllister was through but Wardlaw saved well.

H-T 1-0

Cambuslang were level within 3 minutes of the re-start. Stuart Gauley latched onto a defensive error to lob the ball over the stranded keeper. A couple of minutes later and the Lang were down to 10 men, Mattie Coulter was red carded for a tackle from behind but to be fair to the big centre half he clearly played the ball, but the referee sent him packing for serious foul play. Another poor decision by the man in the middle and it was to cost the visitors dearly who were visibly stunned by the decision. Maryhill doubled their lead on 65 minutes when the Hill were awarded a free kick that should have went to the Lang but Hamill fired in his second past the wall and Wardlaw was totally wrong footed and didn't even move. The game was over when Hill grabbed a third, and Hamill completed his hat-trick. A minute later and the visitors were reduced to 9 men, Gauley picked up his second booking for abusing the far side linesman.Cambuslang then made a number of changes, Richardson was replaced by Paterson and then Cambuslang threw on Doak and Simpson in a vain effort to get back into the match and they replaced Holmes and Mitchell. Maryhill rubbed salt into the Langs wounds when they grabbed a 4th and it was ex-Lang defender Greg McDonald who nodded past Wardlaw after some slack marking at a corner kick.

F-T 4-1


Wardlaw, Devanney, Taylor, Kavanagh, Coulter, Richardson (Paterson 75) Gauley, Mitchell (Simpson 80), Holmes (Doak 80) Maxwell & Balmain

Subs not used

McDougall and Watson