Cambuslang Rangers 2-1 Larkhall

Abercorn Builders Premier League

Saturday 16th February

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers bounced back from last weeks poor cup performance with one of their best displays of the season so far. In the top of the table clash with Larkhall it was the local side who came out top with a fine 2-1 victory, the result also sent the Lang to the top of the league for the first time too.


Cambuslang were more that up for this game after some slating remarks attributed to the Larkhall manager were published in a local evening paper. Earlier in the season Cambuslang came away from Gasworks park with a hard fought 1-0 victory, which resulted in Larkhall manager going on record saying, “Cambuslang will drive fans away with the way they play.”

Another chance goes for the Lang


Cambuslang made a couple of changes from the previous week, into the side came Billy Holmes, Mark Daisley and Gary McGregor to replace John Mitchell, Mark Dunn and Stewart Taylor.


The home side started the game well and almost scored with there first attack of the game, Daisley played in Holmes but his effort was well saved and palmed round the post buy the keeper. Only a minute later and the Lang were in front. With seemingly no danger Anderson of Larkhall put the ball through his own net while under pressure from the Lang forwards but the big defender had more time than I think he thought. Cambuslang should have increased the scoreline when Daisley flashed a free header inches over the bar. The home side were struggling to get into this game. Doyle went close with a shot from 12 yards. On the half hour mark the home side went 2 up. Larkhall gave the ball away at a corner and Balmain picked the ball up on his 18-yard line and ran the length of the park before feeding the ball to Holmes who calmly slotted past the exposed keeper. The visitors should have pulled one back immediately but Roberts failed to test Wardlaw in the Lang goal. Another chance went a begging for the visitors when a combination of Paterson and McGregor cleared a Larkhall shot off the line. Richardson of the Lang was first to be shown a yellow card when he was booked for dissent.

Gauley pressures the Larkhall keeper

H-T 2-0



The visitors looked a little hungrier in the second half of this game. A double substitution saw Ian Campbell and Spencer Stirrat came on for Andy Essler and Paul Anderson. A bold move from the visitors. The visitors tested Wardlaw when Roberts’s header was easily saved. Cambuslang then picked up their 2nd booking of the afternoon when Robertson was cautioned for going in late on Stirrat. Cambuslang Balmain tested McCulloch in the Larkhall goal with a long-range effort that the keeper did well to tip over the bar. Wilkinson was  the first of the visitors to receive a yellow when he was adjudged to have fouled Richardson. Cambuslang should have sealed the victory on the hour mark when Daisley found himself unmarked in the box; he got on the end of Robertson's cross but could only put the effort over the bar. Larkhall made there final substitution on 65 minutes, Roberts was replaced by Stuart Bovill. The visitors were thrown a lifeline when Richardson lost the ball in midfield which resulted in a goal for Larkhall. Watrett pounced on the loose ball and got in between keeper and defence to knock the ball home. This gave the visitors a much-needed lift as they began to play like a team sitting top of the table. Although having said that Cambuslang had an opportunity to restore the 2-goal lead when Holmes headed off the post, the ball ran across the line before it was eventually cleared. Both teams were going all out at this stage and there were a few rash tackles, which resulted in bookings for Stirrat and Gauley. The visitor’s chance of salvaging a point seemed to go when they were reduced to 10 men. Kennedy was dismissed for stamping on the back of Robertson right in front of the referee and had no complaints as he was shown the red card. Cambuslang freshened things up a bit by throwing on Gilhanney and Devanney fro the now tired Holmes and Balmain. Cambuslang had one last effort at goal by Paterson but he screwed his shot just wide. Cambuslang ran out the clock with their third sub bringing on Maxwell, who has been missing for a few weeks with a groin problem. The home side held on for the victory that saw them leap frog today's opponents at the top of the league.

Billy Holmes, scorer of Lang’s second.

All pictures in this report are courtesy of FRANK REILLY





Wardlaw, Doak, McGregor, Kavanagh, Robertson, Richardson, Paterson, Balmain (Devanney 86), Daisley (Maxwell 90), Holmes (Gilhanney 86) & Gauley

Subs not used Dunn & Taylor

Larkhall McCulloch, Doyle, Gardiner, Lynch, Anderson, Kennedy, Watret, Wilkinson, Essler & McQuade

Subs from Fay, Thomson, Stirrat, Bovill & Campbell