Blantyre Vics 4-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Sectional League Cup

Wednesday 16th August

at Castle Park


Cambuslang Rangers hopes of progressing to the Quarter Finals of the Sectional League Cup were dealt a severe blow as they were thumped by a hard working Blantyre Vics in Monday nights rearranged fixture. A disappointing performance from Cambuslang saw them go down 4-2 and leave them struggling to make the knock out stages. Leaders Glencairn now only need 1 point to secure that spot from their 2 remaining games, Cambuslang away and East Kilbride away.


Cambuslang were without a few players in the starting line up with, Doak, McGregor, Galloway Ferguson and Brown all missing for various reasons. Cambuslang gave a start to Slovakian signing Josef Petrik after gaining International Clearance allowing him to play. It was to be this weakness at the back that would be finally exposed as Cambuslang on numerous occasions failed to deal with the long ball into the box. It is these errors that have to be eradicated and quick if the Somervell Park side are to have any chance in the Super League that kicks off in the next couple of weeks. just how the management at Somervell deal with this is anyone's guess as there is no financial help available to Andy Cunningham and Scott Archer.


The match was 10 minutes old before any notable action and that came from the foot of Blantyre's bustling forward, but Rowan in the Lang goal saved easily. The home side should have opened their account on 15 minutes when Ward got on the end of a cross but he was unable to trouble the Lang keeper from 6 yards out. With 20 minutes gone it looked as though Vics would take the lead, a superb free kick was heading into the top corner but a finger tip save by Rowan touched the ball onto the bar before being cleared. It was the visitors who opened the scoring just before the break, a bit of luck about the goal as McCrae's free kick deflected of the defensive wall leaving the keeper stranded and the Lang were 1 up. The lead lasted all of 1 minute as the home side hit back. A long ball into the box was not dealt with by the Lang defence allowing the Vics striker time to knock home. Stoppage time in the first half and the Lang defence was once again posted missing allowing Blantyre to score a second.


H-T 2-1


At the start of the second half Cambuslang replaced Petrik, who struggled to make an impact in his first outing, with Galloway. Langs first duty of the half was to collect the ball from the back of the net as Blantyre extended their lead. A speculative effort to say the least from 20 yards bounced past, what one can only assume, an unsighted Rowan who made no effort to get to the ball. Cambuslang picked up a booking after Burns was harshly adjudged to have fouled Noble. Cambuslang replaced Richie Love with Gary McGregor. The Lang man picked up a booking within a minute of entering the fray. 64 minutes on the clock and Blantyre scored their 4th of the match. A break up field left Cambuslang badly exposed at the back and Vics blasted home. During the goal celebration the referee pulled 1 Vics player towards him and showed him a Red Card, for what only he knows. Towards the end of the match the visitors pulled a goal back McCrae's persistence rewarded when he tapped the ball home. Cambuslang were reduced to 10 men when Galloway vented his frustration in the direction of the referee and he was ordered off for foul and abusive language to round off a quite miserable evening for Cambuslang Rangers.


Rowan, Burns, Graham, Feenie, Paterson, Coulter, McCarroll, Love( McGregor 58), McCrae, Scanlon, Petrik (Galloway 45)