Cambuslang Rangers 1-4 Blantyre Vics

Sectional League Cup

Wednesday 16th August 2006

At Somervell Park


It was a night to forget at Somervell Park last Wednesday as Cambuslang were thumped 4-1 in the final Sectional Game v Blantyre. Cambuslang were looking for the victory that would possibly have booked them a quarterfinal slot but a horror show from The Lang means Glencairn will go through to meet Vale of Leven in the Quarters.


This was a performance that no one expected or even though possible. This was despite Cambuslang taking the lead some what luckily with the aid of a massive deflection.


Cambuslang were forced into a change from Saturday's side that beat EK. Sweeper McGuigan was on holiday meaning a start for Kerr Gray in the centre of defence.


Steven O’Neil Another Saving Tackle

Brain Martin Closing Down Vics Attack


Both team started well enough and indeed Cambuslang opened the scoring after only 11 minutes. Donnelly unleashed a shot, which looked to be covered by the Vics keeper, but the intervention of the defender only resulted on a massive deflection that took the ball past his own keeper and into the net. That was as good as it was to get for the Lang as Vics took control of the middle of the park and Vics Graham seemed to bully the young Cambuslang players.


There were also a couple of late challenges from Vics players that went unpunished by the ref, electing only speaking to the culprits. Vics Shields had a good opportunity to pull his side level but he blasted wide from a good position.


H-T 1-0


Lang’s Brian Martin Should Have Scored Here

Lang’s Doyle Keeps Tabs On Vics Attacker


The home side made a change at the start of the half, McCracken coming on for Love


Cambuslang had a great chance to double their lead on 55 minutes. Robertson's perfect corner found Martin unmarked at the back post but the Lang stopper headed inches wide when he really should have scored. Sneddon for the Vics went close when he fired inches wide. On the hour mark Vics came close to levelling but the speculative effort from Strain came back off the post with the Lang trialist keeper a virtual spectator.


3 goals in the next 4 minutes for the visitors meant Cambuslang would be leaving the competition, and depending on results elsewhere, Vics could themselves still qualify.


The equaliser came on 61 minutes. Vics broke down the right hand side and a cross into the box was deflected past Lang keeper by sub McCracken for his first contribution to the game. This was followed 2 minutes later with another. McDermott who knocked high into the net with the keeper nowhere met a corner to edge of the box.

Lang then replaced Gray with Reid to go 3 up top. This had little effect for the Lang

1 minute after that and it was all over for the Lang as Vics grabbed a third in similar fashion to the previous goal, with the keeper yet again nowhere.  This time it was Strain on hand to fire home.


It was all og 66 minutes before the ref awarded the first booking of the evening at it went to Vics Crilly.


Doyle(3) Leaves Vics Striker For Dead

Gray (4) Closes Down Vics Player


The visitors completed the second half rout on 78 minutes. McCracken gave away possession too cheaply in the middle of the park and Vics broke and Shields had the easy task of slotting past the Lang keeper. The game ended in a flurry of substitutions and Lang gave White a taste of the action but it was too late for the Lang striker to have any impact.

Vics victory sees them finish 2nd in the group after Glens topped it with a 2-0 win over EK.


Lang Line Up


1 Bell (Trialist)

2 O'Neil

3 Doyle

4 Gray (Reid 63)

5 Martin

6 Carson

7 Love (McCracken 46)

8 Robertson

9 Patrick

10 Faulds (White 80)

11 Donnelly


Subs Not Used

12 McGowan

13 Eadie (GK)




More Action Shots Available Here