Girvan F.C. 2-3 Cambuslang Rangers

West of Scotland Cup 1st Round

Saturday 17th October 2009

at Hamilton Park

Cambuslang Rangers progressed into the 2nd Round of the West of Scotland Cup after a fine win over Super League side Girvan at the weekend. The long trip down the West coast was well worth it after a narrow 3-2 win.


Lang struggled to even get a team on the park after yet another injury blow, this time striker Thomas Kilmartin joins the list of players on crutches after he broke his metatarsal in the game v Maryhill. So with Hoey, Smith, Murphy and Kilmartin all missing the Lang squad was stretched to the limit.


Credit to the guys who came in though as Lang impressed with a superb 2nd half performance that blew the home side away.


Things didn't go all Lang's way as the home side started the game very impressively and you could be forgiven for thinking Lang were in for a torrid time.


In the opening 20 minutes Lang struggled to get near the ball as the home side sprayed the ball about.


Scott Dunn Was Impressive

The bright start from Girvan reaped rewards after only 5 minutes when they took the lead. Donnelly was skinned on the line by Biggart and his cross was forced home by Sutherland.


The goal rocked Cambuslang slightly and they were under the cosh a little during the first 20 minutes or so. Cambuslang had a great opportunity to get level on 11 minutes.


Dunn had a surging run down the line and his cross found the on rushing Irvine, but he slashed his shot well wide of the target. A minute later and Lang keeper Connolly was called into action and he produced a fine stop from Moffat to keep Lang in the game.


A minute later and Girvan had another excellent chance but this time Gilmour fired wide from close range when he really should have scored. The home side were dealt a blow when Mitchell had to leave the field with an injury and he was replaced with Wells.


Matthews Put In A Shift In Midfield


H-T 1-0

Cambuslang came out in the second half like a different team and took the game to the home side dominated for long spells. They went close through an Alan McCrae free kick which was well saved and from the resulting corner Ogilvie had his header cleared off the line and then Bishop followed up but his effort was blocked.

Langs pressure paid off on 52 minutes. Matthews with a superb run into the box, slipped the ball to Smith who fired home. Lang took the lead on 58 minutes when a superb run by Matthews took him into the box and his cross found the unmarked Ogilvie and he slotted home from 8 yards.

It was Ogilvies first goal since returning to the club. Cambuslang stretched the lead on 62 minutes when Donnelly's cross was left by Bishop and came to McCrae at the edge of the box. He despatched the ball into the top corner giving the keeper no chance. It was a devastating 10 minutes for the home side and arguably the best Cambuslang have played for a while.


McCrae Swamped By Team Mates After Fine Strike

Girvan regrouped and went on the attack; they brought on Wilson for Murphy in an attempt to get back in the game. On 65 minutes Matthews picked up a booking.


Girvan were unlucky not to pull a goal back on 65 minutes, Biggart's effort coming back off the post.


Cambuslang changed things around on 75 minutes, Dunn, McCrae and Irvine all came off to be replaced with Thomson, Templeton and Queen to freshen things up a bit.



Ogilvie Grabbed His 1st Goal Since Returning To Club


One minute into stoppage time and the home side grabbed a 2nd goal.


The cross came into the box and wasn't dealt with by the Lang defence and Wallace was unmarked at the back post to prod home and set up a nervy last couple of minutes.


Deep into stoppage time and Lang had keeper Connolly to thank after he produced another stunning save from the head of Wallace.


Lang held on for a memorable victory over the super league side.


Jon Connolly With Vital Stop In Injury Time





F-T 2-3



Lang Line Up



For More Shots From The Game






































Click Here