Cambuslang Rangers 0-3 Dundonald Bluebell

Scottish Junior Cup 4th Round

Saturday 18th January 2014

at Somervell Park



Cambuslang Rangers bowed out of the Scottish Cup on Saturday after a disappointing 3-0 defeat at the hands of Fife Region side Dundonald Bluebell.


This was always going to be a difficult tie for the home side as they go through a transition period with players coming and going almost every week.


The Somervell Merry-Go round continued at the weekend as another 2 players look to be on there way out of the club, Alan McFadden has asked away due to work commitments so Saturday was possibly his final game for Cambuslang and also defender William Kinniburgh could be released from his contract as he struggles with an injury.


Arriving were 2 young lads keen to make an impression, defender Peter Kelsall and striker Steven Chaplain. both players were trust into the heart of the action and made their debuts.



Debutant Peter Kelsall


In what was a disappointing afternoon, there was one plus to come out of the game and that was the appearance of Craig Ferguson, who got the full 90 minutes under his belt.


Despite the scoreline, there wasn't too much between the sides and had Cambuslang taken their chances like the opposition it could have been oh so different. But that is football and if you don't score goals you don't win football matches.


Once again  mention has to go to the Cambuslang ground staff who work tirelessly every day. The had  Somervell park in immaculate condition.


The opening spell of the game was dominated by the visitors as Cambuslang failed to create any meaningful chances and anything they did come up with, Bluebell were more than capable of dealing with it.


Stevie Chaplain


There then followed a 2 minute spell that all but ended Lang's involvement in the cup. Bluebell went in front on 18 minutes after a mix up in the Lang defence allowed Lally time to prod he ball home from close range.


Things went from bad to worse a minute later when the visitors doubled their lead. Again it was a poor goal to loose as the defence failed to clear the danger a few times and  the ball went across the face of goal and Lally on hand to slot home the simplest of chances.


The visitors thought they had scored a third on 26 minutes but the linesman had his flag raised and it was disallowed.


Cambuslang had a good shout for a penalty just before the break when striker Chris Faulds was clearly held in the box but the ref turned away and waived play on.


H-T 0-2



Fergie With goal Line Clearance

Welshy Pulled On The boots Once Again

Cambuslang played a bit better in the 2nd half and in fact created some excellent chances that on another day could have turned the tie.


On 48 minutes Darren Moore picked up a needless booking.


The home side replaced debutant Chaplain with Bobby Thomson, who was unlucky to miss out on a starting slot.


Cambuslang were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and Faulds stepped up but his shot whistled inches wide of the post with the keeper beaten. that was as close as Lang had come so far.


Moore was replaced with Welsh, with the wee man hovering on a yellow card it was probably the right decision as Cambuslang looked for a way back into this cup tie.


McFadden departed on 66 minutes, Adam Boyle replaced him, another one that was unlucky to miss out starting as he has been in fine form.


Lang went close again on 73 minutes when Ferguson burst past a couple of defenders but his shot took a slight deflection and narrowly went wide of the far post.


The home side were pushing forward looking to get a goal back and they had an excellent opportunity to do just that. A corner was sent over into eh box and Kelsall rose first and his free header was nodded wide when it looked easier to score.


Ryan Kelly

Another chance came when Thomson nodded the ball into Kelly but his effort came back off the post. Such has been Cambuslang's luck of late.


In the final minutes Cambuslang were caught on the counter attack as Bluebell bust forward and grabbed the all important 3rd to kill off any hopes of a late revival.


Carr slipped the ball under the exposed Thomson who could do very little and sent Dundonald into the last 16.


F-T 0-3






Lang Line Up



































Unused Subs