Lesmahagow 0-0 Cambuslang Rangers

Abercorn Builders 1st Division

Saturday 18th February


Craighead Park


Lesmahagow and Cambuslang slogged their way to a pretty dull 0-0 draw last weekend and it was probably a fare result in the end, neither team could complain about taking a point as neither looked like winning this one. Cambuslang put out a makeshift side after influential centre half Jim Kavanagh pulled up in the warm up with what looked like a pulled muscle, forcing manager Andy Cunningham to rethink his game plan and at the end of the day he would have took a point. Also missing was John McCabe who went down with Flu and the suspended Stewart Maxwell who has 3 games left of the six he received. Into the side came Bernie Mulligan for a rare start, he took over at left back with Andrew Noble taking up Kavanagh's spot in the heart of defence, allowing him to complete his 300th appearance for the club and after the game he was presented with a Silver Tankard form Chairman Gordon Hendry.

With all the changes in the visitors line up it did take them a while to find their feet and were on the back foot for the early stages of this game. After only five minutes keeper Alan Wardlaw was called upon to turn a fine effort from Mcarrison round the post while at full stretch, it was a fine stop. The Gow were carving their way through the Lang defence but were not really troubling the keeper when they got into good positions. Cambuslang came more and more into the game and were beginning to push the home side back but like the opposition were not troubling the Gow keeper who didn't have a save to make in the first 45 minutes. Cambuslang's first real effort at goal came at the end of the half, a fine turn on the edge of the box by Devanney made room for himself but pulled his shot wide of the far post.


H-T 0-0

Cambuslang doubled their shots at goal in the first minute of the second half, Gauley fired in a shot which ex-lang keeper Wilson gathered easily. Skipper Billy Holmes then fired an excellent ball across the face of goal but there were no takers to pounce as the ball was missed by everyone, then Devanney struck the post for Cambuslang's best effort of the game so far, that was his last piece of action as he was replaced by Ryan Lever making his first appearance after his wrist fracture picked up v Glencairn in the Scottish Cup tie. Cambuslang's Noble was the first player into the referee's book for a number of challenges that the referee didn't like. Lesmahagow then had their best effort of the game, Mcarrison turned well on the edge of the box before firing in his shot which slid aggonisingly past the far post with the Lang keeper rooted to the spot. Cambuslang then replaced Daisley with Earlie in an attempt to get the winner. Cambuslang had a great opportunity to open the scoring when Sub Earlie found the ball at his feet but his effort went wide and too his relief the linesman had flagged for offside. Cambuslang two chances to seal the points but some good goal keeping kept them out, first up was Billy Holmes who was in on goal but Wilson saved well with his feet then Mark Dunn saw his effort blocked when had he kept the shot down he would have surely scored.


F-T 0-0


line up

Wardlaw, Robertson, Mulligan, Doak, Noble, Richardson, Dunn, Devanney, Gauley, Daisley & Holmes

Subs Earlie, McDougall, Lever, Trialist

This weekend Cambuslang will be hoping to get back to winning ways when Port Glasgow visit Somervell. This game kicks off at 2-00pm, this will be the last 2-00pm kick off, as from next weekend games will revert back to 3-00pm kick offs