Cambuslang Rangers 2-2 Arthurlie

(Lang Win 4-2 on Penalties)

Central League Cup 3rd Round

Saturday 17th April 2004

at Somervell Park


For the second week in a row Cambuslang shot themselves in the foot by throwing away a 2 goal lead in at times monsoon conditions. The home side were cruising towards the full time whistle when the visitors grabbed two late goals to send the match straight to penalties with no extra time. Cambuslang kept there nerve to see off the Super League Leaders 4-2 in the shoot out. Lang keeper Craig Rowan was the hero saving 2 kicks and skipper in Billy Holmes absence Martin Feenie slotted the decisive kick.


The home side made a couple of changes to the side that crashed to that late defeat by Rob Roy in the last match. Skipper Billy Holmes was still struggling with a thigh knock and had to make do with a place on the bench. Ferguson dropped to the bench, Carmichael ruled out through injury. there spots were taken by Paterson and Doak. Galloway too was missing from the starting line up but Gary McGregor returned to the back line.


The home side started brightly and the first chance fell to Brown, but he was flagged offside when it was clearly an Arthurlie player who had played the ball. Brown again went close minutes later, good play by McCarroll set him up but his powerful drive was blocked and cleared. Lie broke up field but Downs pulled his shot well wide of the target. The visitors went on to have a bit more of the ball and were putting the Lang defence under a bit of pressure. 3 corners in a row but the home defence stood firm. The first booking of the afternoon went to Lang's McCrae who slid in late on Travers. He was quickly followed by Martin for a late challenge in the middle of the park. Cambuslang opened the scoring two minutes before the interval. McCarroll did well to knock the ball into McCrae's path and his drive was well saved by the Lie keeper but it spilled into the path of Brown who made no mistake from close range.

H-T 1-0


Two minutes into the second half and the Lang were two up. Lie keeper made a right hash of a clearance and the ball found its way to McCrae, with the keeper out of his goal McCrae shot powerfully towards goal but Jack for the visitors intervened with his hand and diverted the ball onto the post, some save. The referee had no option but to send the offender off and award Cambuslang the spot kick. Top scorer Paul Brown stepped up and slammed the ball passed Sexton. Lang's McGregor was the next home player to be cautioned for a clumsy foul. Downs had a great chance to pull a goal back for the visitors but he shot over from a good position. The conditions were getting worse by the minute as were the sliding challenges. Lie Allison finding himself in the ref's book for persistent fouling. Cambuslang had an excellent opportunity to wrap up this tie when McCarroll and Brown broke up field, the bid midfielder elected to shoot from 25 yards when Brown was in acres of space. Doak picked up a yellow card for a poor challenge. Cambuslang brought on Billy Holmes for Alan McCrae on 68 minutes. Somervell was stunned to silence when Brown was upended in the box by the Lie keeper, this was of the stonewall variety but to the surprise of everyone inside Somervell the ref waived play on. The penalty should have been awarded and the keeper ordered off. Holmes should have scored when Brown's headed set him up with the chance but he shot wide. The home side were having their best spell of the game but the goal scoring chances were being spurned and this would come back to haunt them soon after. Brown had another chance when he lobbed wide with the keeper out of his goal. Jamie McCarroll left the action to be replaced by Ferguson on 75 minutes, and McGregor limped off with a hamstring injury, his place taken by Stoddart. With 4 minutes remaining the visitors were thrown a lifeline when Waddell pulled a goal back. It was a scrappy one to lose and Cambuslang should have dealt with the ball into the box. During the celebrations the linesman drew the ref's attention of Ross who gestured to the hostile home support. He picked up a yellow card for his troubles. Cambuslang once again had a chance to kill off the visitors when Brown found himself in on goal and the keeper pulled off a fine block and as the ball rebounded to Brown his follow struck the post. With 3 minutes of stoppage time already played Arthurlie grabbed an undeserved equaliser at the death. McKenzie scrambled the ball over the line after a mad melee in the box. Where the 6 minutes stoppage time came from only the man in the middle has the answers.




As with most regional cup competitions this game went straight to penalty kicks.


Lang skipper Martin Fennie win the toss and elected to go first.



Paul Brown stepped up and gave the keeper no chance.


Arthurlie's McKenzie seen his effort well saved by Rowan.


Billy Holmes put Cambuslang 2-0 up when he slotted his kick


McKeown pulled one back for the visitors.


Lang second half Sub Ferguson saw his effort saved by Sexton


Lie's Ryan brought the score level when he sent Rowan the wrong way


Next up was Coulter for the Lang and he easily slotted his spot kick


Arthurlie's Rae was next to fall victim of some Rowan magic as he saw his effort superbly stopped by Lang's No 1


Lang skipper Martin Feenie knew if he scored then the Lang were through, the defender kept his cool and calmly slotted home the decisive penalty. He was soon swamped by his jubilant team mates.



Line up

Rowan, Martin, McGregor (Stoddart 85), Feenie, Doak, Coulter, McCarroll (Ferguson 83), Paterson, McCrae (Holmes 68), Brown and Burns

Subs Not Used


Captain for the day Martin Feenie placing the ball for the decisive kick

Lie players wait in anticipation

The decisive kick