Blantyre Vics 1-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Central Region 1st Division

Saturday 18th April 2007

At Castle Park

Cambuslang slim hopes of first division survival were given a shot in the arm on Wednesday night after a close 2-1 win over neighbours Blantyre Vics. 2 converted penalties from Paul Hughes had Lang coasting towards 3 valuable points but then the hero turned villain as he was controversially red carded for what the ref called, a deliberate elbow. No one else inside Castle Park seemed to catch this except the referee. 

Vics pulled a goal back in stoppage time but the referee stunned everyone yet again by finding 5 minutes injury time, setting up a nervy end to the match. But Lang managed to hold on for what could be a very, very crucial win. It was quite an impressive display from the Somervell Park side despite the late wobble.


The side produced the performance that the manager has been screaming out for and a priceless 3 points on the board, the win also moved the Lang out of the relegation zone, albeit on goal difference.


Lang manager Alan Wardlaw had been busy yet again by bringing in a couple of trialists in an attempt to find that formula needed to steer clear of the relegation zone. 1 familiar face was that of Paul Brown. The Lang striker making the move from Rob Roy to join up for the third time with Wardlaw who played with him at Cambuslang and also managed him at Larkhall. It is hoped Paul will provide the goals the side has been lacking of late.


On 12 minutes Cambuslang had the first chance of the game. Coyle and Brown combined to set up Trialist 1 and his shot on the turn was blocked and cleared out wide, it came back to Coyle whose cross was met by the trialist 1 and this time his header went inches wide.


The pernickety ref stunned the Lang bench when he booked trialist 2 for having no shin guards. On 18 minutes Vics had there first real effort at goal. B7 firing wide from a decent position. Cambuslang had another chance to go in front when Hughes cross was met by trialist 2 but his header flew inches over the bar. Trialist 1 forced the Vics keeper into a fine stop and the ball fell to trialist 2 who also had his effort saved. Vics then went close at the other end a free kick 20 yards out was well saved by the Lang keeper diving to his right to tip the ball round the post.


Cambuslang were awarded a penalty on 36 minutes after Carson was tripped just inside the box. Hughes stepped up and smashed a well taken kick into the back of the net.


The home side looked to have grabbed an equaliser on 44 minutes but a fine clearance off his own line by Doak kept the Lang goal intact for now.


H-T 0-1


Vics made 2 changes at the break, 12 and 15 replaced ???????. Cambuslang had another great chance to extend their lead when Browns perfect header set up trialist 1 but he fired just over the bar. Cambuslang were awarded their second penalty of the night when Brown was tugged in the box just as he fired in his shot. Hughes stepped up and this time the keeper never even moved for the ball such was the quality of the kick.


Blantyre made their final change when 6 was replaced by 14. 14 was involved immediately when he was cautioned 1 minute after coming on. 2 quick fouls left the ref no choice. Cambuslang were forced into a change on the hour mark. Coyle making way for trialist 3 after picking up a knock.


Davie Carson had 2 great chances to add to Lang’s tally but the midfielder shot just wide with the first and inches over with the second. The game turned on its head when Hughes was called over by the ref and shown a red card, only after did we learn this was for a deliberate elbow that by all accounts only he seen. These decisions saw Cambuslang loose their shape slightly and were being pushed deeper and deeper as Vics threw everyone forward at every opportunity. Carson was replaced by Reid on 80 minutes to try and give Lang some shape back.


In stoppage time Vics grabbed a consolation goal. B3 volleyed home from the edge of the box passed the unsighted Lang goalie. As the clock was running and running it was a full 5 minutes later that the man in the middle blew the whistle, just where the time came from only he knows. Cambuslang held on for the vital 3 points and a lifeline for 1st Division football next season




Lang Line Up