Cambuslang Rangers 1-1 East Kilbride Thistle

Beatons Sectional League Cup

Saturday 18th August 2001

at Somervell Park

Cambuslang Rangers went into this game with a 100% record in the group so far but that was soon wasted with this poor showing. The homeside never really got going and should be happy with the point. A victory would almost certainly booked the QuarterFinal spot but that will have to be put on hold. Having already beaten the visitors only last week the Lang went into the game as firm favourites. Manager Andy Cunningham, back from holiday, made 3 changes to the side that beat Blantyre in mid-week, why? Only he can answer that. Out went Doak, Paterson and Farmer and Coulter, Richardson and Taylor replaced them.

Cambuslang's made the worse possible start and found themselves a goal down with only 2 minutes on the clock. Devanney totally miss kicked in the box allowing Brogan time to lob the ball over the stranded Wardlaw. Cambuslang huffed and puffed but were getting nowhere. They did have a couple of long range efforts but rarely threatened Moy in the East Kilbride goal. Balmain shot just wide then Holmes headed narrowly over. The visitors almost doubled there lead when Fairley shot but he found the side netting. Cambuslang's Maxwell put in a delightful cross but there was no one from Cambuslang in a position to take advantage. At then end of the first half Cambuslang had there best effort, Balmain saw his shot cleared off the line.

H-T 0-1

Cambuslang started the second half brightly and almost scored the equaliser a minute into it, again Balmain was involved this time his diving header just went the wrong side of the post. Another good cross, this time by Mitchell, was heading right to the head of Holmes before a timely intervention from keeper Moy took it away from him. Cambuslang got the equaliser on the hour mark but it was a howler from the visitors keeper, he was unable to hold a harmless cross into the box and the ball fell to the feet of Mitchell who rolled the ball into the empty net. In a vain attempt to win the match Cambuslang threw on Simpson and Paterson for Devanney and Richardson. East Kilbride should have regained the lead with 8 minutes left but Conway saw his header cleared off the line he then missed another chance a minute later this time he fired wide from about 5 yards out. Cambuslang should have stole an undeserved victory deep into stoppage time when Simpson and Holmes both went for the same ball and got in each others way but Simpson managed to get the shot away but by this time the keeper was out to get a good block and sent the ball for a corner.

A share of the spoils was probably a point gained for the Lang and they will have to improve on this performance if the still wish to make the quarterfinals.

Line ups


Wardlaw, Devanney (Simpson 75), Taylor, Coulter, Kavanagh, Richardson (Paterson 75), Mitchell, Balmain, Holmes & Maxwell

Subs not Used, Watson, McDougall & Lever

East Kilbride

Moy, Nisbet, Conway, Feeney, Maider, McBride, Watson, Strain, Brogan, Fairley & Duddy

Subs from, Anderson, Brunton, Quinn

Cambuslang complete the Sectional with games against Glencairn( Last Night, Wed) report next week and finally they are away to Blantyre on Saturday 3-00pm Kick Off