Wednesday 18th August

Cambuslang Rangers 4-1 Glencairn



Cambuslang miserable run in the Sectional League Cup has ended with 2 defeats in the final round of matches. Group winners Glencairn completed the double over rivals Cambuslang with a crushing victory at Somervell Park. The home sides run of injuries is getting the stage where Assistant Scott Archer had to pull on a jersey against the Southcroft side. Despite his years it was an impressive performance form the Lang coach and how they could be doing with a younger version of him in the side at the moment. Missing from the game for varying reasons were Carmichael, Galloway, McGregor, Doak, Brown, Rowan and skipper Holmes. The problem was that these are all starters in Andy Cunningham's first 11 so that gives you an idea as to just how bad Cambuslang are struggling at the moment.


Glencairn travelled to Somervell having already clinched a quarter final spot. But as no team likes to lose it was the usual blood and thunder match. Glens impressive football was rewarded after only 5 minutes when MacKay easily waltzed past some half hearted tackles from the Lang defence and planted the ball past Lowe. Only a minute later and it should have been 2. A dangerous ball into the box wasn't dealt with the Lang defence and Hayes headed wide from close range. It was mid way through the half before anything was seen from the home side and as the games previously it was the in form Alan McCrae making the chances for himself. He saw his effort from long range well saved and a minute later a superb strike that looked in all the way rattled off the base of the post with the Glens keeper rooted to the spot, but once again there was no one following up to capitalise on the Lang mans effort. As Cambuslang came more and more into the match the equaliser wasn't far away. It duly arrived and it was nothing more than the home side deserved. McCarroll on hand to drill the ball pat the Glens keeper after a mistake in the defence. Cambuslang should have taken an interval lead but McCrae struck the keeper with the ball from a great position and the Lang striker should have scored.

H-T 1-1

As has been the norm in this campaign, Cambuslang never played in the second half and Glencairn turned the screw as the ran in 3 goals in the second 34. Cambuslang brought on Galloway for the injured Graham at the start of the half. The visitors had the miss of the match on 48 minutes, centre half Smith rose well to head the ball into the path of Gallagher who ballooned over from 3 yards out. It was all one way traffic at this point as Glencairn steam rollered over the top of Cambuslang, its at this point we should point out that there is a Division between both sides but any neutral would be asking the question as to who was the Super League Side? Glencairns dominance paid off when they scored a second on 65 minutes,Merriman was in the penalty area and he shot but it was parried by the Lang keeper, but ran free right into the path of  McKay, who reacted very sharply to fire the ball into the net to make it 3-1. By this stage Cambuslang were all over the place as attack after attack rained down on a poor Lang defence that seemed to lack any real leadership on the park. Glencairn completed the route when

But the best goal of the game was still to come. Substitute Marc McDowall had replaced Gallagher up front, and he made a strong run up the left wing, leaving his marker trailing, and he  cut the ball back into the path of  McKay, who fired a first-time shot high into the roof of the net to make it 4-1.


The Glens man had a couple of chances to get his hat trick and he was given two golden chances, firstly trying to cheekily lob the goalkeeper when through one-on-one and hitting it straight into the keeper's arms, and then he hit the inside of the post a minute later, with the Lang defence desperately clearing off the line.



Lowe, Ferguson, Graham, Feenie, Paterson, Coulter, Hughes, Archer, McCarroll, McCrae, Burns

Subs from

Galloway, Petrik and Love