Cambuslang Rangers 4-2 Cumnock

West of Scotland Cup 1st Round

Saturday 18th September

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers progressed into the 2nd Round of the West of Scotland Cup for the first time in 4 years. Saturday's 4-2 over Ayrshire opponents Cumnock was just the result and the performance all the fans had hoped for, but not many really expected. A superb hat trick from Alan McCrae and 1 from Craig Ferguson sent the Lang into the hat for the 2nd round draw.


Both teams had suffered heavy defeats prior to Saturday's meeting and both sets of fans expect more. Cumnock wend down 6-0 to Larkhall while Cambuslang lost 5-1 to Kilsyth.


Assistant manager Scott Archer was the man in charge as Andy Cunningham had prior arrangements.


Cambuslang welcomed back keeper Craig Rowan at the expense of Lowe and Galloway and Graham had to make do with starts on the bench as in came Coulter and Ferguson. Sponsor's Man of the Match Alan Paterson produced arguably his best performance in a Lang jersey and deserved the applause as he has been the target of some , justified, criticism this season.


Cambuslang made a bright start to the match and after 6 minutes McCrae should have opened the scoring. A Paul Burns effort was blocked and the ball spun into the path of McCrae but he somehow struck the post from 6 yards out when it looked easier to score, thankfully this was NOT a sign of things to come. The home side were doing that little bit more than the visitors and deservedly took the lead on 17 minutes. McCarroll broke from midfield and with the Cumnock back line looking for the linesman to flag him offside the Lang player continued his run and played the perfect pass for McCrae who cut inside one defender before slotting the ball past the Nock goalie. Cumnock's reply was instant and almost levelled from the kick off but Rowan was in the right place as he superbly blocked Kerr's effort, but Muir followed up and to the relief of the Lang defence headed off the bar. The visitors were beginning to pick some holes in the Lang back line and on 20 minutes they had Fisher to thank after he headed off his own line. A mistake by McGrath almost proved costly as he tried to see the ball out of play but he was robbed by Kerr who crossed for the unmarked Muir who's poor header was cleared. Ferguson for Cambuslang was the first player into the referee's note book after he gave away a silly free kick. Cambuslang went close through both Burns and McCarroll as they seen their efforts fizz past the post. A crazy 4 minute spell followed. As the match was heading to the interval Cambuslang found themselves going in at the break 2-1 behind. Rowan produced a stunning 1 handed save but from the resulting corner Kerr's effort sneaked over the line despite Rowans efforts to claw the ball back. The linesman was in the perfect position and awarded the goal with not too many protests from the Lang players. This was quickly followed by Cumnock's second. A spectacular effort from 25 yards flew past Rowan who could do little about it Muir the scorer. So Cambuslang found themselves going in at the interval 2-1 behind to a side that very rarely threatened.

H-T 1-2


Assistant Scott Archer must have said all the right things at half time as Cambuslang drew level on 50 minutes. McCrae sprung another poor attempt at offside from the visitors and he calmly notched both his and Cambuslang's second. The home side were forced into a change when Feenie went off with a knock. He was replaced by Galloway. The home side got their noses back in front on 57 minutes. Alan McCrae turned provider this time as he played in Ferguson who made no mistake sticking the ball into the net. Lang keeper Rowan was still being tested but was up to the challenges as produced another fine stop this time from Kerr. A mistake from Paterson allowed Brown in on Rowan but again the Lang keeper blocked the effort. Cambuslang grabbed the killer 4th on 72 minutes and it was worth the wait. Alan McCrae picked up the ball 25 yards out, took one look up to see where the keeper was and planted the ball into the top corner. A stunning strike to secure his hat trick. The visitors were not finished as the had another couple of great chances to get back into the game but Rowan thwarted ant attempts with some fine goal keeping.


F-T 4-2




Rowan, Fisher, McGrath, Feenie (Galloway 53), Ferguson, Coulter, Paterson, McCarroll, Holmes, McCrae & Burns.

Subs Not Used

Petrik, Love