Petershill 0-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Abercorn Builders Premier League

Saturday 19th January 2002

At Petershill Park


Cambuslang Rangers got back to winning ways when they took on Petershill last weekend. The visitors came away with the valuable 3 points after a great second half performance. 2 goals within a minute gave them a much-needed victory and lifted them into 2nd spot in the league table.

Manager Andy Cunningham rang the changes after the 6-1 defeat the previous week. Out went Daisley, Devanney, Taylor and Coulter, who was suspended. Into the side came Mitchell, Dunn, Holmes and Robertson, making his first start since re-signing for the club.


The home side started the game the stronger and indeed could have went ahead as early as the 1st minute, Welsh lathed onto a cross into the box but he pulled his shot well wide of the target. Beattie then tested Wardlaw with a long-range free kick but Wardlaw saved easily. Cambuslang should have went in front after 5 minutes when Holmes played in Mitchell but his weak effort was easily saved by the Peasie keeper. The visitors were let off the hook again when a ball played into the box went right across the face of goal but no Petershill player was able to take advantage and the danger was cleared by McGregor. The home side was first to pick up a booking when Shannon was yellow carded for persistent fouling. Wardlaw in the Lang goal prevented the home side from taking the lead when he stood up well to Dallas and the keeper gathered his attempted lob. Cambuslang then had Mitchell booked for protesting too hard at some of the referee's decisions. Wardlaw was again called into action when he had to turn a free kick by Easton over the bar for a corner. Petershill thought they had took the lead, as did most of the people in the stadium, when defender fired in a thunderous shot which Wardlaw did well to get a hand on it but the ball seemed to slip just inside the post but went through a hole in the net which both Referee and linesman didn't spot and awarded a corner to the disbelief of the Petershill players and management. Despite numerous protests the home side had to settle for the corner kick, quite a bizarre affair.

H-T 0-0


Cambuslang were slow out the blocks at the start of the second half and again had to rely on keeper Wardlaw who kept out McDonald's effort. On the hour mark and the visitors took the lead. Midfielder Kenny Balmain fired in from the edge of the box after good work by Holmes gave him the opportunity. He dispatched his shot past the despairing dive of the keeper. Before the Peasie rear guard had time to re group they were 2 down. This time a defensive mix up allowed Robertson time to steal in and nick the ball and his pass found Mitchell who had the easiest of tap ins. Cambuslang then brought on 17 year old Mark Gihanney for Dunn. Petershill made a double substitution in an attempt to get back in the game. Gauley picked up a silly booking for not retreating 10 yards at a free kick. Holmes went close when his shot on the turn was deflected just wide. Cambuslang then replaced the hard working Gauley with Damian Devanney and Dasiley came on for Billy Holmes. Cambuslang should have added another in the closing stages when Gilhanney found himself in on goal but the young player was forced wide by the Peasie keeper but he still managed to get his pass away to Daisley but he pulled the shot wide.

F-T 0-2

Petershill from:

Chalmers, McKay, Muir, Beattie, Donaldson, Reilly, Shannon, Finnigan, Cameron, McDonald, Dallas, McKenzie, Easton, B Welsh & A Welsh


Wardlaw, Doak, McGregor, Kavanagh, Mitchell, Richardson, Balmain, Robertson, Gauley, ( Devanney 75), Dunn (Gilhanney 67), Holmes (Daisley 85)

Subs not used Taylor & McDougall