Cambuslang Rangers 1-3 Glasgow Perthshire

Central League Cup 2nd Round

Saturday 19th March

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers were involved in a shock cup K.O. at the weekend when 2nd division side Glasgow Perthshire knocked them out of the League Cup. Although there are 2 divisions separating the 2 teams the Lang can have no real complaints as they were beaten by a hungrier, and on the day, a better team.


Cambuslang manager Andy Cunningham missed the shock cup K.O. as he went on a spying mission to check out some future opponents.


Lang keeper Craig Rowan was rested and placed on the bench allowing number 2 Lowe a rare start. Defender Martin Feenie was missing in the heart of the defence.


Very little happened in the opening 15 minutes and indeed the first notable action was the opening goal from Cambuslang. Some Lang pressure paid off when McCarroll cut in from the left and rolled the ball into the path of Coulter who cracked his shot home, despite a brave effort by the keeper to keep it out but the power on the shot saw it home.


The visitors should have found themselves level only a minute later but Marcus headed over from 6 yards out. Lang's Burns also went close but his effort only found the side net and striker Alan McCrae forced the Shire keeper into a fine stop with his drive. Cambuslang should have doubled their lead on the half hour mark. A fine move down the flank saw Paterson deliver a fine cross for Burns to get onto but he headed wide when he should have hit the target. A minute later and Shire's Marcus was booked for a blatant dive inside the box but the ref was unimpressed and yellow carded the player. 2 minutes later and the same player did exactly the same but this time to the amazement of everyone, he pointed to the spot. Keeper Lowe pulled off a stunning stop but Shire player followed up to tap home at the 2nd attempt. The visitors almost went in front but another fine stop by Lowe kept them out.


H-T 1-1


Cambuslang replaced the injured Ferguson at the start of the 2nd half, his place taken by Galloway. Cambuslang almost went back in front a minute into the 2nd half, a cross come shot by Burns came back off the far post and bounced to safety. On 50 minutes and the Lang went behind. Marcus for Perthshire had his effort blocked but the ball bounced off Bell and into the net.


Cambuslang then made a change, Graham replaced by Brown returning from injury. McCarroll went close on the hour mark but his free kick was well tipped over by the Shire keeper. Then Paterson had a header well saved too. Shire keeper Johnstone then pulled off a fine save from Brown. With 10 minutes Shire killed off any hopes the Lang had of getting something in this game when they notched a 3rd. A free kick from out wide was well met by Marcus and his glancing header found the top corner giving Lowe no chance. The match ended on a sour note when Galloway was red carded for throwing then kicking the ball at a Shire player.


Lang Lowe, Ferguson, McGowan, Fisher, Coulter, Carmichael, Paterson, Burns, McCrae, McCarroll & Graham.


Subs from Rowan, Holmes, Brown, Archer & Galloway