Cambuslang Rangers 2-4

Central League 1st Division

Saturday 19th August 2006

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers failed to get off to a winning start in the opening league game of the season. The newly promoted Visitors Port Glasgow ran out comfortable winners in the end with a 4-2 score line.


The home side made the worse possible start going to behind inside the opening 10 minutes, but too their credit they did manage to get back on level terms but Port turned up the heat and scored two more goals.




Cambuslang were forced to list manager Scott Archer as a sub and indeed their was an appearance from the veteran but even he could not stop the Lang from slumping to the heavy defeat.


Cambuslang were missing a couple of players due to various reasons forcing Archer to name himself on the bench. Noble and Kerr were ruled out through injury and McGuigan still on holiday and also top scorer Alan Patrick had a wedding to attend. Keeper Andy Eadie was given a start in goal, his first appearance of the season.


The home side almost fell behind after the first attack of the match but Ports striker was unable to take advantage lifting the ball inches over the bar from close range.


It wasn't long before the visitors got their noses in front, all of 9 minutes. O'Neil was adjudged to have pushed in the box and ref awarded the spot kick. Eadie was sent the wrong way as Port converted the penalty.


Things went from bad to worse for the home side as 2 minutes later they fell further behind. This time a drive across the keeper found the far corner leaving the Lang with a mountain to climb if they wanted to get back into the game.


Cambuslang were now beginning to put a few passes together and create a couple of chances for themselves. On 17 minutes they went close after Donnelly picked out Robertson with a cross but the Lang mans header went agonisingly wide. McCracken became the first player into the refs book after a trip in midfield.


The home side pulled a goal back on 22 minutes. Carson played in Faulds who took the ball past the defender before coolly slotting past the Ports keeper.  Cambuslang almost shot themselves in the foot by conceding almost immediately. Walker shot straight at Eadie who made a comfortable save.


The visitors were forced into a change when the elbow of Lang’s O’Neil caught one of their players.


H-T 1-2



5 minutes into the half and Port almost went further in front but the presence of Brian Martin was enough to put Walker off and he headed wide.


Cambuslang were awarded a penalty when Carson was pulled down in the area. Striker Faulds stepped up to the mark and smashed the ball past the despairing dice of Ports number 1.  Cambuslang then had a chance to take the lead for the first time but Martins header from a Donnelly cross went narrowly wide.

All Cambuslang's hard work to get level was undone on 63 minutes as the visitors regained the lead. A simple cross into the box was not covered by the Lang defence and this allowed Stewart the easiest of headers past Eadie.

Cambuslang then replaced Doyle with Love on 65 minutes. The visitors thought they had increased their lead but the ref chopped off Stewart’s goal for offside. With 10 minutes remaining Archer entered the frae but even had had very little impact on the game. Cambuslang misery continued when a mix up in defence meant that Ports Stewart was left totally unmarked from along throw and he tapped past Eadie to round off the miserable afternoon for the Somervell Park side.



Lang Line Up

Lang Line Up

More Action Shots Click Link Below

1 Eadie

2 O'Neil

3 McGowan

4 Doyle (Love 65)

5 Martin

6 Carson

7 Robertson (Archer 80)

8 McCracken

9 Faulds

10 Donnelly

11 Reid


Subs Not Used


14 White

15 Keane

17 Gray