Port Glasgow 2-4 Cambuslang Rangers

Central Region 1st Division

Saturday 20th March 2010

at Ravenscraig Stadium

Cambuslang Rangers completed the double over Port at the weekend with a stubborn 4-2 victory, having defeated Port 6-2 in the opening game of the season.



Greenock has always been a difficult place to go but Cambuslang came away with a vital 3 points despite not playing particularly well.



Cambuslang wee without Mark Bishop (holiday) so his place in the defence was taken by new signing Fraser Craig and Andy McFarlane and Davy Matthews were restored to the starting line up at the expense of Donnelly and Hoey, who dropped to the bench.


Sweeney Shows His Presence


It was a fairly even opening from both sides and the first effort at goal came after 12 minutes. Bobby Thomson went close for the visitors but his effort came off the top of the bar before going behind. A few minutes later and Cambuslang were in the lead.


McFarlane's deep cross was fumbled by the home keeper and the ball fell to Kilmartin who had his shot blocked but Dunn was on hand to knock home from close range.


Port levelled with their first real attack of the game. On 33 minutes Lang could only half clear a shot and it fell kindly for Donnelly to fire past Connolly in the Lang goal. Lang got their noses back in front on 30 minutes when Kilmartin charged down a clearance and slotted past the Port Goalie.


Just before the break and Lang looked to have wrapped up the points with a fine 3rd goal. Sweeney played a superb ball to Kilmartin and his precise pass across the face found Thomson steaming in at the back post and he rammed it home giving the keeper no chance.


Thomson Slots Home At Back Post


H-T 1-3

In the first minute of the 2nd half Lang scored a forth. Dunn's cross was met by Kilmartin and he volleyed superbly past the Port keeper.


From this point though Cambuslang seemed to ease off slightly and allowed Port to come back into the game. They had a couple of half chances although never really threatened Connolly's goal.


Lang had another fine effort saved this time it was McCrae's free kick that was well parried by the keeper before he gathered at the 2nd attempt. Port were presented with a chance after a mix up with Connolly and Inglis. Inglis was short with a header back to Connolly and this allowed Nugent but he lobbed the ball wide with the goal gapping.


Port did get a goal back and what a goal it was. Nugent picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and then unleashed a cracker of a shot that flew past the helpless Connolly and into the net.


Deco Fouled Just Outside The Box

Lang made a couple of changes on 68 minutes. McCrae and Sweeney made way for Hoey and Smith. Cambuslang almost increased their lead on 78 minutes but Davie Matthews watched agonisingly as his effort came back off the post and eventually cleared.




Lang used the 3rd and final sub when replacing Dunn with Ferguson. A slack clearance by new boy Fraser Craig presented Nugent with an opportunity to set up a nervy end but he could only find the side net much to the relief of the Lang new boy



Deco Fires Lang 3-1 up in 2nd half





F-T 2-4



Lang Line Up



For More Shots From The Game



























D Matthews

Sweeney (Smith 68)

Dunn (Ferguson 79)


McCrae (Hoey 68)













Click Here