Cambuslang Rangers 4-6 Petershill

Stagecoach Super League 1st Division

Wednesday 20th April 2005

At Somervell Park



Cambuslang Rangers manager Andy Cunningham took charge of his final game after he was sensationally axed at the Clubs A.G.M. the previous Monday. The Lang manager asked if he could take charge for the game v Petershill and the request granted, the least the club could do after this almighty blunder.


Andy's troops were unable to deliver the parting win that the script deserved but it wasn't for the lack of trying as the 4-6 scoreline would suggest. It was end to end stuff and had the officials not got involved in things they thought they seen then the result could so easily went in the Lang boys favour.


This match had almost everything you look for in a game, plenty of goals, some meaty challenges, some penalties both missed and scored and a couple of red cards just for good measure.


The game was only 3 minutes old when the Lang went behind. A typical aimless punt up field by the Peasie back line was not dealt with by the Lang defence and this allowed Baltacha time to fire past Rowan, who looked a bit slow getting down to it. Soon after the restart the home side could have conceded a penalty when Baltacha was upended in the box by Feenie but the referee waived play on. Cambuslang drew level on 6 minutes after a fine shot by Brown was only parried by the Peasie keeper and Lang's Alan Paterson followed up to knock home. The Lang players en-masse made their way to the Lang dug out and celebrated with Cunningham and assistant Scott Archer who seemed a little embarrassed by his troops celebrations. Which only went to show how much his team thought of Monday night's vote...

Cambuslang could have went in front on 20 minutes but Brown saw his effort deflected inches wide.  Petershill regained the lead with the sort of goal Cambuslang had been leaking all season. Craig Rowan looked at fault in allowing Sutherland to head home a Baltacha free-kick on 28 minutes. It was 3-1 3 minutes later when an identical free kick was headed home this time though Rowan blameless. Cambuslang were given the perfect opportunity to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty for hand ball in the box. The out of sorts Derek Carmichael stepped up to take the kick but this was easily saved.

H-T 1-3


Cambuslang dragged themselves back into the game when Paterson grabbed his second of the night. Burns delivered the cross for Paterson downward header found the back of the net. Shortly afterwards, the goal-scorer turned goal maker with a cross which Brown volleyed past a helpless Peasie keeper and level the scores.


Cambuslang looked the only winners now as they were making chance after chance and the Peasie camped in their own box. That was until the referee adjudged Lang defender Ferguson had pushed Mooney in the box. Very little contact if any... the spot-kick was put away by sub McAninch.. Things went from bad to worse for the Lang when Feenie and Dallas clashed in the box resulting in a red card for the Lang defender an award of another penalty kick. The experienced sweeper didn't even get as far as the dugout before he was being followed by Brown, whose vehement protests overstepped the barrier. McAninch did the honours again to put his team 5-3 ahead, a lead soon increased by a stunning  Jarvis shot to make the score 6-3. But 9 man Lang kept plugging away bravely and were rewarded with an
85th-minute consolation by sub Paul Burns.


Line up


Rowan, Ferguson, McGowan, Feenie, Coulter, Graham, Galloway, McCarroll, Carmichael, Brown and Paterson

Subs From

Lowe, Trialist, Trialist, Fisher, Burns