Yoker Athletic 1-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Central League Cup 2nd Round

Friday 20th April

At Holm Park


Cambuslang Rangers were looking for a couple of things from this match, firstly to continue where they left off on Wednesday after their fine 2-1 over Blantyre and secondly to gain a bit of pride back against a side that gave them a mauling, 5-0, only last month.


In that previous encounter Cambuslang were easily out muscled and bullied all over the park, but no so in this cup tie. The Somervell Park side had clearly learned what’s needed at this level and produced the goods that earned them a spot in the next round courtesy of a 2-1. Goals from Doyle and Hughes penalty were enough to see off Yoker who had taken the lead early in the second half.


This was also a landmark game as it was the first time since February last year that they had recorded 2 wins back to back


There were a couple changes to the side that beat Blantyre in the league game. McLaughlin and Brown were both ineligible. Doyle and Wyatt came in, the latter after a 3 game suspension was completed.


The first half was all about Cambuslang giving as good as they got from the physical Yoker but this time Cambuslang were equal to it, refusing to be drawn into the petty fouls and sniping. Yoker were doing most of the pressing in the first half but a well organised back line were coping with anything coming their way and Lang keeper had little to do in that opening 45. The first notable bit of action came when Yokers Chisholm fired in a shot but it was straight at the Lang goalie.


Cambuslang should have been awarded a spot kick. Yokers Joyce clearly handled in the box but to the amazement of Lang players, the ref waived play on.


H-T 0-0


The second half was a much livelier affair with both sides looking to progress to the next round. The half started poorly for Lang as all their good word in the first was done after only 3 minutes. Yoker opened the scoring after Cambuslang were unable to clear the danger despite a couple of chances to do so. The ball eventually fell to Dunn who turned and fired home from close range. The game threatened to boil over when Cameron and Coyle clashed in the middle of the park, both players yellow carded for their troubles. Cambuslang came close to equalising on 50 minutes. Ogilvy delivered a cross to the far post where the on rushing Carson rattled the ball into the side net when he really should have scored. Equaliser did arrive though only a minute later. Hughes played the perfect cross to Doyle who took it on the chest before hammering the ball past Yokers helpless keeper. Hughes then picked up a booking shortly after.


On 79 minutes Ogilvy had a great chance to put the Lang in front but the keeper saved well from his header. Lang replaced Wyatt with McMullan. 30 seconds later and the visitors were awarded their 3rd spot kick in 2 games. Hughes fouled just inside the box. The Lang men dusted himself down to rattle the ball home and give Cambuslang a precious lead with 10 minutes remaining. Cambuslang introduced Taylor into the Action, Doyle making way. As the final whistle loomed a mass rammy erupted in the Lang box. Ogilvy was elbowed off the ball but as the ref missed it no action was taken. The Lang striker had to be replaced with Divers. The home side were throwing everyone forward now and 5 minutes stoppage had come and gone when Yoker thought they had levelled. Tamburrini shot looked goal bound all the way a massive deflection saw it trickle wide. The ref then blew the whistle and Lang booked their spot in the next round.



2 Carson

3 McGowan

4 Doak

5 Kavanagh

6 Hughes

7 Dykes

8 Coyle

9 Wyatt

10 Ogilvy

11 Doyle


12 McMullan

14 Taylor




Lang Line Up